Plastic Bottle Flyers
- Recycled plastic bottle (with lid)
- Wooden items: two small circles,
two large circles, two large
rectangles, two teardrops
- Acrylic paints: red, blue, brown,
- Buttons, two each: small, large
- Wool felt scrap, 1”x6”
- Craft thread, small amount
- Craft wire, 3” length
- Fishing line or string, 24” length
- Craft glue
- Black marker
- Hole punch
- Newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Wash and dry bottle and lid. Cut out hole (for pilot) on side of bottle. Cut two 2” slits on sides of bottle (for wings). For hanger holes, punch holes on front and back of plane.
- Print and cut out patterns. Cut from craft foam: two wings and tail blue or red, propeller white, stars blue, red, or white.
- For pilot, transfer face onto two large circles; glue circles together. For girl pilot, sandwich craft thread between circles; glue together. Glue rectangles together (body) and small circles (hands) on ends of teardrops
- On covered work surface, paint bottle (plane) blue or red. Paint lid red or blue. For pilot, paint body, arms, and cap brown. Paint hands and face tan. Paint goggles red and center white. Add small flag on sleeve, if desired.
- Glue pilot’s head on body and arms on sides of body. For scarf, wrap wool felt scrap around neck; glue ends.
- Insert wings and tail in slits on plane; glue to secure. Glue stars on plane in desired patterns. Glue pilot inside plane.
- For propeller, insert craft wire through holes on smaller button, center of propeller, then through holes on larger button. Poke craft wire through center of lid; twist ends. Reposition lid on bottle.
- To hang, thread string through holes on plane. Knot ends on inside.