Grandparents are a Treasure
- Cardstock or construction paper:
white, lt. brown, dk. brown, yellow, red
- Jute twine, 15” length
- White craft thread, 10” length
- API Crafter’s Pick The Ultimate! Glue
- Decorative-edge scissors
- Hole punch
- Black marker
- Print and cut out patterns. Measure and
cut 7”x10” lt. brown paper rectangle. Measure and fold top 1-3/4” to center. Measure and fold bottom 3-1/4” to center. (Top and bottom edges will meet to form chest and lid.) Trim chest edges following bold lines on pattern.
- Use black marker to draw wood grain lines on inside and outside of chest.
- Measure and cut two 1/2”-wide yellow paper strips. Use decorative-edge scissors to trim edges. Use hole punch to punch holes, 3/4” apart, along strips. Glue strips on top and bottom of chest.
- For lock, measure and cut two 3/4” dark brown paper squares. Glue squares on top and bottom of chest. Use hole punch to punch hole in center of each
- Use black marker to draw details on crossbones. Glue crossbones on front of chest.
- Use black marker to write “you are a treasure to me” on red paper. Cut out message. Glue message on yellow paper and yellow paper inside card.
- Fold card closed. Measure and cut 15” jute twine length. Insert twine through holes on lock; tie to secure.
- For flag, cut 1-3/4”x3” shape from red paper. Use black marker to write “Do NOT open unless you are my grandparents” on flag and draw outline around edges. Punch hole on side of flag.
- Measure and cut 10” white craft thread length. Thread craft thread through hole on flag; tie around jute on chest.