Mayan Rain Tube
- Polyform Sculpey III Clay: Tan, Moss, Yellow, Red Hot Red
- Recycled toilet paper tube
- Tiny pebbles, uncooked beans, or uncooked rice
- Chalk: dk. blue, lt. orange, dk. orange
- White acrylic paint
- Craft glue
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin or wooden dowel
- Parchment-lined baking sheet
- Old or promo credit card
- Aluminum foil
- Black marker
- White copy paper
- Glue foil on one end of toilet paper tube. Fill tube with beans or rice or pebbles. Cover other end with foil; glue. Let dry.
- On clean work surface, remove clay
from packages. To condition, roll clay
separately in hands until soft, bending and rolling until pliable. If clay cracks, keep conditioning.
- Roll Moss clay to 1/4” thickness.
- Apply glue on surfaces of toilet paper
tube. Position tube on Moss clay; roll tube on clay, covering all surfaces. Use old credit card to cut excess. Smooth edges.
- Roll Moss clay scraps to 1/4” thickness.
Position toilet paper tube on clay; trace around ends. Cut ends from clay. Position cut circles on ends of toilet paper tube; smooth edges. (Do not break aluminum foil.)
- Roll Yellow and Red Hot Red clays into
skinny logs. Wrap both logs around top
and bottom of tube; smooth edges. Use
toothpick to add diagonal lines on logs.
- Print and cut out pattern. Transfer pattern onto white copy paper.
- Roll Tan clay to 1/4” thickness. Transfer pattern onto Tan clay; use toothpick to trace over lines, creating impression in clay. Remove pattern.
- Use chalk to color in sun pattern. Press sun on side of tube.
- Position tube on parchment-lined baking
sheet. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake tube in oven. Let cool.
- Paint eyes white. Let dry. Use black marker to outline sun.
- 1. Adults, help kids when baking clay in oven.