Heartfelt Bear Pillow
- Fabric: light pink print, 3/8 yd.; bright pink print, 1/4 yd.; white, 1/4 yd.
- The Warm Company Warm & White Needled Cotton Batting
- Pillow form, 12” square
- Fiberfill stuffing
- Pink/white check ribbon, 5/8”-wide, 3/8 yd.
- White jumbo rick rack, 2-1/8 yds.
- Flat white buttons, 1/2”, 11
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Cool White, Baby Pink, Boysenberry Pink, Soft Black
- Royal & Langnickel Paintbrushes: Natural Hair Bristle, #5; Crafter’s Choice Stencil, Series 1111, 1/4”; Royal Majestic Liner, Series 4595, #1
- Stencils: alphabet; heart, 1/2”
- Sewing thread: white, pink
scissors, ruler, pencil, straight pins
- Cut 9” square from bright pink fabric. Stencil “Hugs and Kisses” using Cool White, spacing words 1/2” apart. (Note: Fill in stencil gaps with Cool White.)
- Print and cut out patterns. For pocket, cut one heart from stenciled fabric, one from remaining bright pink fabric, and one from batting. Baste batting heart to back of stenciled heart.
- Beginning and ending at bottom point of heart, sew rick rack around stenciled heart, 1/4” from edge. (Note: Sew through center of rick rack.) Sew fabric hearts together with right sides facing along rick rack stitching, leaving 3” opening for turning. Clip seam. Turn heart right side out and hand sew opening closed.
- Cut two 12-1/2” squares from light pink fabric. Pin heart pocket to front of one square, lifting heart slightly at center so bear will fit in pocket. (Note: Bottom of heart should be 1-1/2” from bottom of square.) Use pink thread to sew buttons to heart pocket (through all layers) where indicated.
- Beginning and ending in bottom corner, sew rick rack around front of pocket square, 1/4” from edge. (Note: Sew through center of rick rack.) With right sides facing, sew fabric squares together along rick rack stitching, leaving 10” opening along bottom. Trim corners; turn pillow right side out. Insert pillow form into opening; hand sew opening closed.
- Using pattern, cut two bears from white fabric. Transfer mouth and eyes to one bear. Drybrush cheeks Boysenberry Pink. Dot eyes and line mouth Soft Black. Add Cool White highlight dots to cheeks.
- Stencil Baby Pink heart for nose and one centered at end of each arm and leg. Shade heart edges Boysenberry Pink.
- Pin bear pieces together with right sides facing. Stitch bear, 1/4” from edge, leaving 2” opening along outside edge of one leg. Trim seam and clip lines where indicated on pattern. Hand sew opening closed with tiny whipstitch.
- Tie ribbon into bow; trim ends. Hand sew bow to bear under mouth. Place bear in pocket.