- Oh Four Bisque Square Collection Platter (#27158)
- Concepts Underglazes for Bisque and Majolica: Bright Saffron; Bright Tangerine; Bright Salsa; Light Kiwi; Dark Kiwi; Black
- French Dimensions: Black Licorice; Pure White
- E-Z Stroke Translucent Underglazes: French Brown; Mesa Clay
- Pure Brilliance Clear Glaze
- Optional: Thin 'n Shade
- Signature Brushes*: Liner, #4; Shaders, #4, #8; Fan Glaze, #6; Round, #8
- Potter's sponge
- Container for water
- Clear adhesive-backed shelf paper
- Craft knife
- Paper towels
- Blue painter's tape
- Gauze, 10"x15"
- Craft stick
- Old toothbrush
- *Products by iLoveToCreate, a Duncan Enterprises Company
newspaper (to cover work surface)
- 1. For best results, read all instructions before beginning project. Shake bottles of paint before using.
- 1. Wipe platter with damp sponge to remove bisque dust
- 2. Print out pattern. Trace leaf pattern onto unprinted side of shelf paper. Cut out leaves with craft knife.
- 3. Remove backing from cutouts and position on plate where shown or where desired, making sure to firmly press around edges to seal from paint seepage.
- 4. Run tape along inner edge of frame on platter, leaving center section open.
- 5. Pour puddles of Light Kiwi and Bright Saffron onto a piece of foil.
- 6. Sponge the two colors lightly over the leaf cutouts and center of plate for a soft, mottled background. Let dry. Remove leaf cutouts and tape.
- 7. Lightly draw in the veins of leaves with pencil. Cover over outline of leaves and vein lines with French Dimensions™ Pure White. Let dry. Tip: If French Dimensions colors are too thick, remove cap and add a few drops of Thin ‘n Shade then stir with a craft stick. Replace cap and test color.
- 8. On another piece of foil, pour puddles of Bright Tangerine, Bright Saffron and Dark Salsa.
- 9. Using the No. 8 Round, paint outer edges of leaves with Light Saffron and centers with Bright Tangerine, brushing color over the Pure White veins. Dab small areas within Bright Tangerine with Dark Salsa. Refer to photo. Let dry and repeat twice more, letting dry between coats. Let dry.
- 10. Mix a small amount of Black into the Dark Kiwi. Dab the No. 4 Shader into water then load corner with mixture and float color along edges of leaves to create dimension. Clean brush and reload corner with color as necessary. Repeat along one side of stem. Refer to photo.
- 11. Use the No. 4 Shader and Dark Salsa to float color along one side of each vein as shown. Let dry
- 12. Place graphite paper on platter and lay "Thankful" pattern on top. Carefully but firmly trace over word with pencil to transfer onto platter, making sure not to score color. Lightly retrace over word with pencil to make sure it's visible.
- 13. Trace over word with Black Licorice French Dimensions. Let dry.
- 14. Use water to dilute a small puddle of Black. Dip bristles of toothbrush into diluted color, then run finger across bristles to spatter color over center section of platter. Let dry.
- 15. Pour a puddle of Black on a clean piece of foil and use the No. 8 Shader to paint two solid coats on section around inside edge of frame, being careful not to get color on frame. Refer to photo. Let dry between coats.
- 16. Carefully tape over the outside edge of black border to protect when painting frame of platter.
- 17. Cut four strips of gauze to fit over sides of platter frame then set aside.
- 18. Pour a puddle of Mesa Clay into a clean piece of foil. Add some water to dilute to a watercolor consistency. To test consistency, load Fan Glaze brush in color and brush over a piece of newspaper; if font is readable through color, the consistency is correct.
- 19. Using Fan Glaze, brush one good coat on one side of platter. While color is damp, lay gauze over color and tap in to temporarily adhere. Repeat with remaining sides, working on one side at a time. Let dry.
- 20. Pour a puddle French Brown on foil. Use Fan Glaze to paint French Brown over the gauze, leaving some areas lighter than others to create an old, rustic feel. Continue on remaining sides of frame. Let dry. Remove gauze.
- 21. Leave backside of platter unglazed (dryfoot) and place directly on kiln shelf and fire to witness cone 06.
- 22. Pour an amount of Pure Brilliance Clear Glaze into a paper cup. Use Fan Glaze to paint center of platter with one coat of Pure Brilliance and two coats on frame, letting dry between coats. Let dry.
- 23. Turn plate over and brush two coats of Pure Brilliance on back, letting dry between coats. Let dry.
- 24. Fire to witness cone 06.