Faux Embossed Frame
- Elmer’s Foam Core Board, 3/8” thick
- Black/white print paper, 12”x12”
- White cardstock
- Aluminum foil
- Adhesive-back gem stones
- Royal & Langnickel E-Z Rub-on Home Sentiments Transfers
- Sewing machine and black thread
- Elmer’s X-ACTO #11 Craft Knife
- Black shoe polish
- DecoArt Americana Lamp Black Acrylic Paint
- Beacon Adhesives: Gem-Tac Permanent Adhesive, Zip Dry Paper Glue
ruler, pencil, sanding block, paper trimmer, self-healing cutting mat, newspaper (to cover work surface), paintbrush
- With pencil and ruler, trace two 14” squares on one edge of foam core board.
- Use knife and cutting mat to cut squares from foam core board. For seamless cutting, use three cut rule. Score traced lines with one pass. For second pass, cut deeper into foam core board for second pass. Make sure to stay on traced lines. For third pass, cut all the way through foam core board. Trace 9” opening for frame on one 14” squares and cut out. Use sanding block to smooth out any rough edges.
- On covered work surface, use tacky glue to create swirl marks or pattern of choice on frame, covering entire frame front. Allow to dry overnight. Paint remaining 14” square Lamp Black for framing backing. Center 12”x12” patterned paper into center of frame and adhere using paper glue.
- Use paper trimmer to trim white cardstock to 7” square. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to apply rub-on transfers. Use sewing machine and black thread to sew straight stitch 1/2” from edges of paper. Adhere white cardstock piece to center of frame backing over patterned paper with paper glue. Apply self-adhesive gems to cardstock as shown.
- Cut 4-1/2” square pieces from aluminum foil with paper trimmer. Apply paper glue on one side of foil pieces. Carefully smooth surface of foil over dried-glue design. Adhere edges to back of frame piece.
- Use black shoe polish to age surface of frame, randomly smearing polish on and rubbing off carefully. Let dry.
- Use tacky glue to adhere frame front to back. Let dry.