Rustic Snowman Door Hanging
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam Balls: 6”, 5”, 4”
- Thick white yarn
- Burlap, 3”x16”
- Recycled cereal box and cardboard tube
- Natural wooden twigs
- Flat-backed black buttons: small, medium, large
- Jute twine, 20” length
- Sewing machine and black thread
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Lamp Black, Tangelo Orange
- Beacon Adhesives Gem-Tac Permanent Adhesive
hand saw, scissors, paintbrushes, pencil, mixing bowl, water, skewers, jar or cup, 3/16” dowel, foam brush, toothpicks
- Trace 3” circle on recycled cardboard and cut out with scissors. Trim recycled tube (for hat) to 3” long. On covered work surface, paint circle (hat brim) and hat Lamp Black. Let dry.
- Gather twigs and trim two pieces to 5” and 3” lengths. Paint 3” twig Tangelo Orange (for nose).
- Mix glue with water to 1:1 ratio. Place each foam ball on skewers. Apply glue mixture to foam ball with foam brush. Holding skewer with one hand and working with yarn in other, wrap yarn around ball. Use more glue to hold in place as needed. Repeat until all balls are covered with yarn. Let dry by inserting skewer end into jar or cup.
- Insert toothpicks into large ball. Remove and apply tacky glue on end; reinsert into ball. Apply glue to remaining end. Insert medium ball onto toothpick to join pieces together. Repeat process for small ball, adding it to top of medium ball. Let dry.
- Trim dowel to 10” length using hand saw. Insert dowel through all three balls from top to add stability to snowman shape. Adhere with glue as needed.
- Adhere hat and hat brim together, adding glue along edge of tube bottom. Adhere to top of snowman. Let dry with snowman positioned vertically.
- Insert arm twigs and nose into snowman. Remove and apply glue on ends of pieces. Reinsert into snowman. Place snowman on flat surface and adhere buttons on snowman.
- Use sewing machine and thread to sew along long edges of burlap strip (to prevent unraveling) using black thread. Tie strip around snowman (for scarf). Use glue to adhere in place. For hanger, insert one end of jute into back of snowman scarf; tie ends into knot.