Door Banner Series: Winter Greetings
- Roc-Lon Fabric, 12-1/2”x21-1/2”
- Wooden dowel, 3/4” diameter, 14” length
- Wooden dowel caps, 1-1/4”, two
- White fuzzy or eyelash yarn
- Sewing machine and white thread
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille Golden Taklon Paintbrushes: Series 7550 Wash 3/4”; Series 7300 Angular Shader 1/2”, 3/4”; Series 247 Crescent Series 1/4”; Series 7050 Script 10/0; Series 700 Round #2, #6; Maxine’s Magic Mop 270, 1-1/2”
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Antique Maroon, Arbor Green, Black Green, Blue Chiffon, Burnt Orange, Burnt Umber, Heritage Brick, Honey Brown, Lamp Black, Uniform Blue, Warm White
- DecoArt Americana Neon Paints: Fiery Red, Torrid Orange
- Creative Expressions Snowflake Border Stencil
- DecoArt Americana DuraClear Matte Varnish
scissors, ruler, pencil, masking tape, stylus, paper towels, water bucket, tracing paper, graphite paper, cosmetic wedge, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- 1. Unless specific brush is noted in instructions, use best brush available to fit area painting.
- 1. Measure and cut 12-1/2”x21-1/2” fabric rectangle. Position rectangle with wrong side facing up on work surface. Fold back fabric on top and bottom edges 1/2” to center; press. Fold top edge again 1-1/2”; press. (Note: This top edge will form casing for dowel to run through.) Use sewing machine and white thread to stitch along folded top and bottom edges.
- 2. Print out patterns. Trace pattern onto tracing paper.
- 3. Basecoat both sides of fabric with two coats of Warm White. Let dry.
- 4. Measure 9” from top and mark. Measure another 1” down and mark. Measure 3-1/2” down again and mark, leaving about 4” area at bottom. On top 9” section, measure from left side over and mark at 9”, making 9” square at top with 3-1/2”x9” rectangle next to square.
- 5. Basecoat 9” square Uniform Blue, 3-1/2” square Blue Chiffon, (leave 1” section in Warm White), 3-1/2” section below it Uniform Blue, and bottom 4” section Blue Chiffon. Refer to photo for proper placement of colors. Let dry. With graphite paper, trace main pattern elements onto background.
- 6. With 3/4” angular shader and Warm White, float snow beneath snowman. Walk color down and soften with mop brushes. Repeat several times until satisfied with results.
- 7. Basecoat snowman Warm White, scarf and bird Heritage Brick, and twig arms Honey Brown. Use 3/4” angular shader to shade snowman with watered-down Uniform Blue. Walk out shading on bottom and soften with mop brush. Shade each side of body, in dips where his arms meet body, and on either side of his head. And shade along right side and underneath scarf.
- 8. Trace details, eyes, nose, mouth, and coal buttons. Basecoat eyes, eyebrows, mouth, and coal buttons Lamp Black. Basecoat nose Burnt Orange. Shade nose along bottom Antique Maroon. Highlight nose Torrid Orange. Highlight left sides of coal buttons with sideload of Blue Chiffon.
- 9. Shade overlapping scarf sections Antique Maroon. Add detail lines with thinned Lamp Black using 10/0 script. Highlight scarf with drybrush of Fiery Red. Use Crescent brush to scrub in highlight color around neck. Shade twig arms along bottom Burnt Umber. Shade to right of nose and right of coal buttons Uniform Blue. Shade bird along bottom of head and body and underneath wing Antique Maroon. Highlight top of head and body with sideload of Torrid Orange. Highlight bottom edge of his wing.
- 10. Add detail lines around pattern elements with thinned Lamp Black using 10/0 script. For snow areas, paint squiggly line; use straight lines on other elements. Dot snowman eyes Warm White.
- 11. Using smallest snowflakes on stencil, stencil random flakes around snowman. Use cosmetic wedge and Blue Chiffon to stencil snowflakes.
- 12. For black/white check section, measure down 1/2” and draw light pencil line to help keep checks straight. Paint Lamp Black checks on 1” white section using #6 shader. Paint lettering “Winter” Blue Chiffon using 2” round. Paint thin Lamp Black line on bottom and left of each letter. Dot “i” with small snowflake.
- 13. For trees, paint snowy ground solid coat Warm White. Basecoat trees Arbor Green and shade underneath branches Black Green. Paint tree trunks Honey Brown; shade along right side Burnt Umber. Shade snow with thinned Uniform Blue. Paint fence Burnt Umber. Shade underneath each fence post with thinned Uniform Blue. Top fence posts and rails with dab of Warm White snow. On large tree in top corner, add twigs sticking out of snow using Honey Brown with touch of Burnt Umber. Shade underneath each clump with thinned Uniform Blue.
- 14. Add thinned black detail lines around all pattern elements as desired.
- 15. Using round brushes (#2 on small trees and #6 on large tree), add snow to edges of all branches by loading brush with Warm White. Place tip of brush on tip of each branch; pull up towards top of tree lifting brush as you pull up.
- 16. Paint wooden dowel Warm White and dowel caps Uniform Blue. Using thinned Warm White and 10/0 liner, paint snowflakes around each ball. Let dry. Apply varnish on dowel, dowel caps, and banner. Insert dowel into pocket and attach dowel caps to either end. Attach white yarn onto each end of dowel to hang.