Pilgrim Salt & Pepper Shakers
- Salt & pepper shaker set with straight sides (available at Linens ‘n Things (#398216-130814)
- Canvas fabric
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Antique Gold, Burnt Orange, Slate Grey, Warm White, Honey Brown, Toffee, Lamp Black Mississippi Mud
- Antique metal eyelets, 1/8”, 16
- Black mini brads, four
- Ribbon scraps: orange/white, black/ivory stripe
- Hemp cord, 24” length, two
- Brown ink pad
- Hole punches: 1/16”, 1/8”
- Sewing Machine and black thread
- Eyelet setting tool
scissors, pencil, transfer paper, sponge scrap
- 1. Adjust size of canvas rectangles and pattern if needed. Canvas rectangle should cover most of straight sides of shaker, leaving 1/2” opening at side for lacing.
- 1. Cut two 2”x5-1/2” canvas rectangles. Paint both sides of rectangles Warm White; let dry.
- 2. Print and cut out pattern; transfer designs to rectangles, continuing lines across entire rectangle.
- 3. For girl, paint: top hair Honey Brown; face Toffee. For boy, paint: back of rectangles Mississippi Mud; hat band Lamp Black; buckle Antique Gold; remaining hat Mississippi Mud; hair Burnt Orange; face Toffee. Let dry.
- 4. Machine sew straight stitch around details and fabric rectangle edges.
- 5. Antique rectangle edges with brown ink, using dry sponge scrap.
- 6. Punch 1/16” holes at both ends of fabric rectangles as indicated by pattern; attach eyelets. Tie ribbons and sew to bottom of faces.
- 7. Wrap fabric rectangles around shakers. Lace hemp cord through eyelets, beginning at bottom and tie bow at top.