Self-Portrait Mom's Gift Box
- Polyform Sculpey: III clay: one 2 oz. block White, small amount Black
- Round or square chipboard box
- Laser-printed line drawing
- Polyform Sculpey: Clay Conditioning Machine, Extruder, Super Slicer
- Colored pencils
- Acrylic paints
- Parchment-lined baking sheet
- Computer and laser printer
rubbing alcohol, cotton balls, white copy paper, craft knife, foam brush or sponge scrap
- Scan artwork into computer. Print artwork using laser printer. (Note: Inkjet printers will not work with transfer.) Using photo editing program, flip image horizontally for reverse image to transfer. Cut out transfer. See Step 1.
- Condition White clay into thin flat sheet. Use conditioning machine to roll clay on #1 setting or 3/8" thick. Position transfer right side down on clay sheet. Soak cotton ball in rubbing alcohol and wipe entire surface of transfer. Let dry; wipe entire surface again. Repeat for third time. Carefully peel corner on transfer; black line on drawing should have transferred on clay. Cut around transfer. See Steps 2-4.
- On covered work surface, use sponge scrap to paint box in colors of choice. See Step 5. Let dry.
- Position clay transfer on box top. Roll Black clay into thin log (or use clay extruder) and press around image, creating frame. See Step 6. (Note: No glue is needed to adhere clay to box as paint acts as glue.)
- Bake lid in oven following manufacturer's instructions. Let cool.
- Use colored pencils to color in drawing. See Step 7.