Forever Gingerbread Felt House
- National Nonwovens WoolFelt: Teddy Bear Brown, 1/2 yd.; scraps, Pistachio Ice Cream, Blue Snow, White, Shocking Pink
- Fairfield Soft Touch Poly-Fil Supreme Fiberfill
- Embroidery thread: hot pink, light blue
- Polyform Premo! Sculpey Clay: White, Cadmium Red Hue
- Sewing machine and thread
- DecoArt So Soft Fine Glitter: Celebration Pink, Sizzling Red, Ice Crystal
- DecoArt So Soft White Fabric Paint
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille Paintbrushes, Series 7300C: Shader #2, 4, 6; Round #3
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin, parchment-lined baking sheet, and oven
- Adhesives: Aleene’s Fabric Fusion; hot glue gun and sticks
scissors, embroidery needle, craft knife, emery board, straight pins
- On clean work surface, remove clay from packages and condition separately until soft and pliable. Roll 1” White clay ball and form into rope shape. Roll 1” Cadmium Red Hue clay ball and form into rope shape. Position ropes side by side; roll together, twisting to create “candy cane” stripes; curve end. Repeat process to make another candy cane.
- For peppermint candies, roll White clay rope to about 1/2” thickness. In addition, roll four White clay ropes to about 1/4” thickness. Roll four Cadmium Red Hue ropes to 1/4” thickness. Set the smaller ropes, in alternating colors, around larger white rope. Roll all ropes together in one large rope until smooth. Using craft knife to cut off 1” on end. Cut 1/4” disc from rope; round edges. Repeat process one more peppermint candy.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake candy canes and peppermint candies on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool. Use emery board to sand edges. Set aside.
- Print out full-size patterns. Cut pattern pieces from felt.
- Use fabric glue to adhere door window onto door. Let dry. Use embroidery needle and light blue embroidery thread to blanket stitch around edges of window. On covered work surface, use #4 shader to paint window glass White, leaving 1/3” border around pane. Let dry. Use #6 shader to wash Ice Crystal over glass. Let dry. Use #3 round to paint tiny stitches around glass Celebration Pink. Let dry. Repeat painting process on other windows. Let dry. Use #2 shader to paint Sizzling Red on outer edges of all six shutters. Use #4 shader to paint centers of shutters Celebration Pink. Let dry.
- Use fabric glue to adhere front snow on front house. In same way, adhere back snow on back house. Adhere door and two shutters onto front house following pattern.
- Pin roof tile pieces to layer over one another, beginning at top, on side house. (Note: There should be four tile pieces.) With sewing machine, sew along top edge of each tile about 1/8” from edge.
- Use fabric glue to adhere side windows and shutters on both side pieces, following pattern.
- Use embroidery needle and hot pink thread to blanket stitch top and two side pieces together. Blanket stitch front house to front of side pieces. Blanket stitch house back piece to house side pieces. Blanket stitch bottom seams together, leaving opening on one side. Stuff house with fiberfill stuffing, making sure to stuff corners tightly. Blanket stitch opening closed.
- With hot glue gun, adhere candy canes on either side of door and peppermint candies above candy canes. Use fabric glue to adhere top snow along roofline on house.