Crocheted Frosty the Snowman Scarf
- Caron Simply Soft Yarn: White (9701), 2 skeins; Black (9727), 1 skein; Passion (0012), 1 skein
- Caron Simply Soft Harlequin (0007) Paints Yarn, 1 skein
- Coats and Clark Red Heart Soft Tangerine (4422) Yarn, 1 skein
- Black craft beads, 4mm, 136
- Crochet hooks, sizes: E, G
- Yarn needle
- Fabric glue
Circles (make 69)
- 1. With G hook and White, ch 4, join with sl st to form ring.
- 2. Round 1: (RS) Ch 1, 8 sc in ring marking beginning of each rnd if necessary. Do not join rnds. (8 sc)
- 3. Round 2: Sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc, around. (12 sc)
- 4. Round 3: Sc in each sc around. (12 sc)
- 5. Round 4: Rep Rnd 2. (18 sc)
- 6. Round 5: Rep Rnd 2, fasten off. (27 sc)
Eyes (make 68)
- 1. With E hook and Black, ch 3, join with sl st to form ring. Fasten off. Pull circle tight. Weave in ends.
Nose (make 34)
- 1. With E hook and Tangerine, ch 6, sl st in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next ch, hdc in each of last 3 ch. Fasten off; weave in ends.
Earmuff Bands (make 34)
- 1. With G hook and Passion, ch 15. Fasten off. Trim ends to 1/4”.
Earmuffs (make 68)
- 1. With E hook and Harlequin, ch 2, 10 hdc in 2nd ch from hook, join with sl st; fasten off.
Snowman Scarves (make 6)
- 1. With G hook and Harlequin, ch 51, 4 hdc in 3rd ch from hook, * sk next ch, sl st in next ch, sk next ch, 5 hdc in next ch, rep from * 11 times but work 10 hdc in ch at very end instead of 5, rep from * down opposite side of ch 12 times, join to top of skipped ch at beg of row, fasten off.
Assembly and Finishing
- 1. With White and yarn needle, attach circles where they touch for three or four stitches, picking up back lps only having 23 rows of 3 circles. (Note: Rows 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23 will have snowman on each end with embroidered snowflake in center circle. Rows 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22 will have embroidered snowflake in circle on each end with snowman face in center circle. Row 12 is center back of neck and will have three embroidered snowflakes in circles.)
- 2. (Note: Make sure that when scarf is placed around neck that all snowman faces are facing upright.) Using yarn needle and Passion, bring needle up through center of circle, leaving tail at back for tying off when snowflake is finished. Bring needle down between Rnd 3 and Rnd 4, back up through center, back down between Rnds 3 and 4 on opposite side forming straight line, back up through center, and back down between Rnds 3 and 4, halfway between where you went down for previous two legs of snowflake. Bring needle back up through center and back down between Rnds 3 and 4 on opposite side now, forming cross shape.
- 3. Bring needle up through center and back down between Rnds 2 and 3, halfway between two legs of cross. Bring needle back up through center and rep this process 3 more times forming an “x” which finishes off snowflake.
- 4. Bring needle down for last time, take two tails on back side of snowflake, and tie securely in knot on back of work. Trim ends to 1/4”. Adhere ends with fabric glue.
- 5. Adhere headbands onto top half of snowman faces, making sure edges line up with edges of face. Adhere earmuffs on each side of head, making sure trimmed ends of earmuff bands are tucked underneath earmuffs; center earmuffs on each side of head.
- 6. Adhere eyes close together and nose on center of circle. Adhere four black beads below nose to form smile. Allow features to dry completely.
- 7. Tie scarves in loop. Use yarn needle and Harlequin to sew scarves onto bottom edge of each of three circles, working through all thicknesses of scarf loop. Repeat on other end of scarf.
Crocheted Frosty the Snowman Scarf