Quilted Christmas Tree Wall Hanging
- Christmas print fabrics (for front and back of quilt), 18”x22”, two
- Christmas print cotton fabrics, fat quarters
- Vintage buttons: red, green
- Chipboard star
- The Warm Co., 1/4 yd. each: Warm & Natural Needled Cotton Batting; Steam-A-Seam 2 Fusible Webbing
- Sewing machine and thread
- Ranger Stickles Lime Green Glitter
- Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive
scissors, ruler, straight pins, needle, iron and ironing board, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Cut quilt batting to 18”x22”. Layer 18”x22” print fabric rectangles with right sides facing. Pin batting against one wrong side of fabric.
- Machine stitch 1/4” from raw edge of fabric, leaving 3” opening. Trim seam allowance (including corners), and turn right side out. Press with iron. Slip stitch opening closed using needle and thread.
- Randomly machine quilt wall hanging using straight stitch lines until completely quilted.
- Following manufacturer’s instructions, apply fusible webbing onto coordinating fat quarter fabrics. Cut fabric into 1-1/2”- and 2”-wide strips. Cut one each from the following fabric strips: 11-1/2”, 10”, 8”, 6”, 4”, 3”. (Note: The top three strips on quilt are 1-1/2” wide.) In addition, cut 2-1/4”x2-3/4” fabric rectangle (for tree base).
- Remove film from fusible webbing on each strip. Starting 3-1/2” from bottom of quilt, fuse strips to quilt. Center and tuck tree base under 11” strip before fusing. Graduate strips, 1/8” apart, starting with 11” strip and ending 3” from top of quilt. Machine straight stitch strips to quilt 1/8” from each edge.
- Fuse more strips in smaller widths. Fuse strips onto tree and machine stitch as above.
- On covered work surface, adhere buttons on tree using fabric glue. Dot each button center with Lime Green glitter. Apply Lime Green glitter on chipboard star. Let dry. Adhere star onto top of tree using fabric glue.