Artisan Copper Business Card Holder
- K&S Engineering Copper Sheet, 26-gauge
- Tin snips
- Bastard file
- Ball peen hammer
- Cross peen hammer
- Mandrel or dowel, 1”
- Liver of Sulfur
- Lemon juice
- Wet/dry sandpaper, 400 grit
ruler or measuring tape, paper towels, plastic bowl
- Use tin snips to cut copper sheet to 3-1/2”x5-1/2”. Trim corners to round slightly. File all sharp edges using bastard file to avoid injury in following steps.
- On wrong side of sheet, use ruler to measure approximately 1-1/2” from edge. Using ball peen hammer, texture wrong side of sheet from edge to mark.
- Flip sheet over and measure approximately 3” from previous hammer marks. Use cross peen hammer to texture front side of copper sheet. Hammer in one direction first, then turn sheet and hammer creating cross hatch pattern. Use bastard file to soften any sharp edges created due to hammering.
- Use 1” mandrel or dowel and finger pressure to create curves in holder. Roll sheet over mandrel first at 2” from non-textured edge then again in opposite direction at 4”, flipping ball peen textured side to front of holder.
- Clean entire surface of metal using lemon juice followed by hot water and soap. Rinse well in hot water.
- Dip entire holder in diluted liver of sulfur, following manufacturer’s instructions until desired level of oxidization is achieved.
- Use sandpaper to buff off surface of texture and bring out copper highlights.