Men's Crocheted Reversible Scarf
- Caron International Yarn, one 3 oz. skein each: ecru, green, light green, grey
- Crochet hook, US H-8
- Yarn needle
- 1. Scarf size is 10"x60".
- 1. In pattern, 15 sts = 4” and 9 rows (3 color stripes) = 2-1/2”.
- 2. Note: Scarf will stretch considerably in length to result in finished measurements.
Special Stitches - fhdc
- 1. fhdc: foundation half double crochet (Note: This technique creates a foundation chain and row of half double crochet stitches in one.)
- 2. Step 1: Place slip knot on hook, ch 3, yarn over, insert hook in 3rd ch from hook and draw up one loop; yarn over and draw through one loop on hook (the “chain”); yarn over and draw through 3 loops on hook (the “half double crochet”).
- 3. Step 2: Yarn over, insert hook into “chain” of previous stitch and draw up one loop, yarn over and draw through one loop on hook (the “chain”), yarn over and draw through 3 loops on hook (the “half double crochet”). Repeat step 2 for the length of foundation.
Special Stitches - beg-hdc
- 1. beg-hdc: beginning half double crochet (Note: This technique creates an actual hdc stitch at beginning of row, making more attractive edge stitch that is easier to work and count.) – At beginning of row, ch 2, insert hook in 2nd ch from hook, yarn over and draw up one loop (2 loops on hook), insert hook in first stitch, yarn over and draw up one loop (3 loops on hook), yarn over and draw through all 3 loops on hook.
Special Stitches - spike-dtr
- 1. spike-dtr: spike double treble crochet—[Yarn over] 3 times, keeping stitch to front of work, insert hook from front to back in skipped st 4 rows below, yarn over and draw up one loop (5 loops on hook), [yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook] 4 times.
- 1. Scarf is crocheted lengthwise, alternating colors A, B, C and D, with three rows of each color, ending and cutting yarn at each color change. The pattern is multiple of four stitches; to alter length, make foundation that is multiple of four plus one extra stitch. To alter width, add or omit rows in multiples of three. There is no obvious RS or WS to the scarf. To change color, work last stitch of old color to last yarn over. Yarn over with new color and draw through all loops on hook. Proceed with new color.
- 1. Note: ecru (A), green (B), light green (C), and grey (D).
- 2. With A, fhdc 221, change to B in last st, drop and end A, turn foundation so hdc edge is on top, begin work across hdc edge.
Scarf: begin color sequence
- 1. Row 1: Ch 1, sc in first hdc, sc in next hdc, [ch 1, sk next hdc, sc in each of next 3 hdc] 55 times, omitting last hdc, turn.
- 2. Row 2: Beg-hdc, hdc in next sc, [hdc in next ch, hdc in each of next 3 hdc] 55 times, omitting last hdc, turn.
- 3. Row 3: Working in front loops only, beg-hdc, hdc in each hdc across, change to C in last st, drop and end B, turn.
- 4. Row 4: Ch 1, sc in first hdc, sc in next hdc, [spike-dtr in skipped st 4 rows below, sk next hdc on working row, sc in each of next 3 hdc] 55 times, omitting last sc, turn.
- 5. Row 5: Beg-hdc, hdc in each st across, turn – 221 hdc.
- 6. Row 6: Working in front loops only, beg-hdc, hdc in each hdc across, change to D in the last st, drop and end C, turn.
- 7. Rows 7–9: With D, repeat Rows 4–6; change to A in the last st of Row 9, drop and end D.
- 8. Rows 10–12: With A, repeat Rows 4–6; change to B in the last st of Row 12, drop and end A.
- 9. Rows 13–15: With B, repeat Rows 4–6; change to C in the last st of Row 15, drop and end B.
- 10. Rows 16–27: Repeat Rows 4–15.
- 11. Rows 28–33: Repeat Rows 4–9. (Note: You should have changed to A at the end of Row 33.)
- 12. Row 34: With A, work Row 4.
- 13. Row 35: Continuing with A, ch 1, sc in each st across—221 sc. Fasten off.
- 1. Using yarn needle, weave in ends. Block scarf.
Mens' Crocheted Reversible Scarf