Santa’s Friends Trio
- Wendy’s Way Round Ornaments (ORN117), 4-1/2”x3-1/2”, three
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Snow Titanium White, Lamp Black, Light Buttermilk, Grey Sky, Flesh Tone, True Blue, Ocean Blue, Crimson Tide, Black Plum, Deep Burgundy, Rookwood Red, Cadmium Red, Gooseberry Pink, Gingerbread, Persimmon, Celery Green, Camel, Honey Brown, Milk Chocolate, Fawn, Festive Green, Holly Green, Light Avocado, Fiery Red
- White ribbon, 12” lengths, three
- DecoArt Glamour Dust: Silver Bling, Sapphire Blue
- Dynasty Black Gold Paintbrushes: Series 206FW Flat Wash 1/4”; Series 206A Angular 3/8”; Series 206FIL Filbert #6, 12; Series 206R Round #5; Series 206MSC Mini Script Liner 20/0; Series 206SL Script Liner 5/0, 10/0; Decorator Series 300 Deerfoot 1/4”; Decorator Series 400 Mini Mops, 1/4”, 1/2”; Decorator Series 200 Drybrush #8, 12
- DecoArt: Americana Medium Drying Time Extender, Easy Float, DuraClear Matte Varnish
palette, paper towel, water basin, stylus, white and gray graphite, tracing paper, palette knife, sandpaper, tack cloth, scissors
- 1. For floating, add a few drops of Easy Float to clean water; this will help assist with shading and highlighting effects. Use mop brush in pouncing motion to remove water lines and soften shading/highlighting. For drybrushing, load drybrush fully with paint and remove excess on paper towel until almost dry. For stippling, use tip of deerfoot brush only, loading with a very small amount of paint at one time. For line work, use 10/0 script liner unless otherwise noted. Fully load bristles with diluted paint to ink consistency; lightly dab dip onto paper towel to a point. Use paintbrush best suited for area unless otherwise noted.
- 1. Sand rough edges of ornaments and wipe with tack cloth. Use #12 filbert to basecoat ornaments Ocean Blue and ornament top Grey Sky. Let dry. Use sandpaper to sand surface in between coats to leave smoother finish.
- 2. Apply extender medium to outer edge of ornament; float with True Blue. Darken using True Blue. Float bottom of ornament ring with brush mix of Lamp Black and Snow White. Highlight top area Snow White.
- 3. Print out patterns. Transfer main outlines onto ornaments.
- 1. For Medium Flesh, mix (2:1) mixture Gingerbread + Rookwood Red.
- 1. Use #6 filbert to basecoat face Flesh Tone. Let dry. Transfer facial details. Float with Medium Flesh mix to forehead, sides, cheeks, and bottom of nose. Darken Crimson Tide to cheeks and bottom of nose. Highlight Snow White to top of nose. Use stylus to dot eyes Lamp Black just above nose and 10/0 script liner to apply eyelashes. Let dry. Highlight dot eyes and line on right side of eyes/eyebrows Snow White. Outline inside mouth Lamp Black and outer lip Tuscan Red.
- 2. Basecoat hat Tuscan Red. Let dry. Drybrush highlight on center of hat Fiery Red; keeping brush dirty, apply second highlight with Snow White. Let completely dry. With clean brush, reapply drybrush over highlight with Fiery Red. (Note: This will help tone down the white if needed.) Use 3/8” angular to float Deep Burgundy in shadow areas; darken floats Black Plum. Highlight top of hat Cadmium Red.
- 3. Basecoat pom-pom, hair, and beard Grey Sky. Let dry. Float with brush mix of Lamp Black and Grey Sky at bottom of pom-pom, hair, mustache, and beard. Stipple Grey Sky on top of pom-pom; stipple keeping brush dirty with Snow White. Apply second stipple with more Snow White if needed. Use 5/0 script liner to stroke hair lines on hair, beard, and mustache. With inky consistency, stroke fine hair lines Grey Sky, starting at beard area and working upwards in small layers. Let dry. Float under mustache brush mix of Lamp Black and Snow White. Float under nose with brush mix of Lamp Black and Snow White. Let dry.
- 1. Basecoat face Camel; let dry. Recoat face Honey Brown. Let dry. Transfer facial details. Float along top of head and bottom of nose Milk Chocolate. Let dry. Darken Milk Chocolate. Highlight top of nose Snow White. Drybrush cheeks and float bottom of nose and under chin Crimson Tide. Outline icing Light Buttermilk.
- 2. Basecoat scarf Festive Green. Float on top and middle areas Holly Green; highlight with brush mix of Festive Green and Light Buttermilk. Add Crimson Tide and Light Buttermilk stripes.
- 1. Use #6 filbert to basecoat face Light Buttermilk; float top and sides of face Fawn. Let dry. Darken top area Milk Chocolate.
- 2. Basecoat hat and scarf Gooseberry Pink, brim Celery Green, and pom-pom Light Buttermilk. Float bottom of hat and under pom-pom, top of scarf, and crease Crimson Tide. Float along bottom and crease of brim Light Avocado. Highlight hat and scarf with brush mix of Gooseberry Pink and Snow White. Let dry. Apply second highlight with Snow White. Highlight top of brim with brush mix of Celery Green and Snow White. Let dry. Apply second highlight with Snow White. Float bottom of pom-pom Fawn and darken same area Milk Chocolate. Highlight top of pom-pom Snow White. Use stylus to add Snow White dots on hat.
- 3. Transfer facial details. Drybrush cheeks Crimson Tide; highlight dot Snow White. Use #5 round to basecoat nose Persimmon. Float bottom of nose Milk Chocolate; highlight top Snow White. Float under nose Fawn; darken Milk Chocolate. Dot eyes using end of paintbrush handle. Let dry. Paint lashes, eyebrows, and dots for mouth Lamp Black.
- 1. Let ornaments dry completely. Apply Sapphire glitter on ornament surface, making sure not to apply on design. Apply Silver Bling glitter on ornament top. Apply two coats of varnish. Let dry.
- 2. Insert ribbon length through ornament top; knot ends and tie bow on front of ornament.