Roly Poly Snowmen Gourds
- Pumpkin Hollow Gourds pumpkin gourds: 3”, 2-1/2”
- Polyform Sculpey Ultralight Clay
- Silver wire, 26-gauge, 12” length
- Polyform Sculpey: Acrylic Roller, Essential Tool Kit
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Bahama Blue, Butterscotch, Foliage Green, Graphite, Grey Sky, Hauser Medium Green, Limeade, Orchid, Spa Blue, Titanium White, Wild Orchid
- Royal and Langnickel Aqualon Paintbrushes: Series 2160 Angular Shader 1/4”; Series 2150 Shader #2, 6, 12; Series 2250 Round #3; Series 2595 Liner 20/0
- Royal and Langnickel Small Lange Soft Stippler
- DecoArt Glistening Snow-Tex
- Rustoleum Painter’s Touch White Sandable Primer
- Toothpicks, two
- Parchment-lined baking sheet and oven
- White craft glue
ruler, scissors, old toothbrush, drill with bit, sandpaper, plastic cutting mat or placemat (for clay work surface), oven-safe dish, sand, newspaper (to cover work surface), transfer paper
- 1. If gourds are not pre-cleaned, soak in warm water for 15 minutes and use plastic kitchen scrubber to remove mold and dirt. Allow gourds to dry thoroughly. Remove stem if applicable. Use sandpaper to remove imperfections but wear mask as dust is toxic. Clay parts may need to be reduced or enlarged slightly, depending on size of gourds.
- 1. On covered work surface, spray gourds with several light coats of primer. Drill hole large enough for toothpick into center top of each gourd. Set aside.
- 2. On plastic cutting mat, roll 1” clay ball for man’s head and 3/4” clay ball for woman’s head. Press toothpick halfway into bottom of each head. For noses, roll two small clay balls into cone shapes; form into carrot shapes. Flatten large ends of noses on work surface; press onto center of each head. Use end of paintbrush to indent eyes. Use clay tool to indent eyebrows. For eyes, roll four tiny clay balls; set aside. (Note: Do not attach eyes onto face.)
- 3. For hats, roll 1/2” ball (man) and 3/4” ball (woman). Form hats using photo as guide; press onto top of heads. Roll 1/4” ball for pom-pom; press onto man’s hat. Roll two 1/2” balls into logs; wrap logs around base of each hat. For hangers, cut two 6” wire lengths; bend in half and twist ends into loop. Insert twisted ends into hats.
- 4. For arms, form two 3/4” clay balls into 3”-long logs. Use roller to flatten. Use clay needle tool to indent cuff and separate thumbs. Use fingers to gently shape mitten and shoulder areas. Bend arms slightly at elbows.
- 5. For scarves, roll two 6” clay balls into logs; flatten with roller. Use clay knife to score fringe at either end of scarves. For buttons, roll three pea-sized clay balls; flatten with roller. Use pencil eraser to make indentation; use stylus to poke two holes in indented area.
- 6. Position gourds with bottom ends up in oven-safe dish filled with sand. Insert toothpick into holes. Wrap scarves around base of heads; overlap ends to secure. Position arms on bodies and press shoulder areas to flatten; press on sides of bodies. (Note: Do not allow shoulders to touch scarves.) Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake gourds (in oven-safe dish), eyes, and buttons on parchment-lined baking sheet. Let cool.
- 7. Use blunt clay tools to gently remove arms from gourds. Use tool to gently separate scarf tails from gourds; carefully remove entire head/scarf unit from gourd.
- 8. Print out patterns. Basecoat gourds, heads, arms, and scarf fringe Titanium White. Transfer clothing onto gourds using patterns as guide.
- 9. Float shading on heads, arms, and bodies Grey Sky. Use stippler and touch of Orchid to drybrush cheeks. Use Butterscotch to paint noses. Use Graphite to basecoat eyes. Let dry. Use liner and Titanium White to add highlights on eyes. Let dry.
- 10. Basecoat man’s vest and crown of hat Spa Blue. Float shading Bahama Blue + tiny touch of Graphite to deepen color. Basecoat woman’s coat and hat crown (2:1) mixture of Titanium White + Orchid; float shading (1:1) mixture of Orchid + Wild Orchid. Use shader to apply Glistening Snow-Tex to pom-pom onto man’s hat and brim of woman’s hat. Use liner and thinned Titanium White to paint stitches on coat and vest. Use #2 shader and Graphite to paint stripes on coat, vest, cuffs, and hat brim; let dry then drybrush Titanium White over edges. Paint man’s button (1:1) mixture of Limeade + Foliage Green; deepen center with (1:1) mixture of Foliage Green + Hauser Medium Green. Paint woman’s buttons Spa Blue; deepen centers Bahama Blue. Use liner and thinned Titanium White to paint line between holes on each button. Let dry.
- 11. Basecoat man’s scarf and mittens (1:1) mixture of Limeade + Foliage Green; float shading (1:1) mixture of Foliage Green + Hauser Medium Green. Basecoat woman’s mittens and scarf Spa Blue; float shading Bahama Blue. Use liner and thinned Graphite to paint fringe indentations. Use thinned Titanium White to paint snowflakes on mittens. Use stylus to dip dot ends of snowflakes.
- 12. Load old toothbrush with slightly thinned Titanium White; lightly spatter all areas on gourds. Let dry. Use white craft glue to adhere clay pieces onto gourds. Let dry. Spray gourds with sealer.