Santa Button Beard Pillow
- Red ticking fabric, 9”x10”, two
- Felt: dark green, 7”x8”; white, 2”x5”
- Ivory Aida (or cross-stitch fabric), 6-1/2”x7-1/2”
- Assorted white/ivory buttons, 50
- Gold jingle bell, 1”
- Ivory embroidery floss
- Fiberfill stuffing
- Sewing machine and thread
- Needles: sewing, embroidery
- Fiskars Pinking Shears
- Paintbrushes: wash, 1/2”; round, #6
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Country Red, Petal Pink, Base Flesh, Hauser Medium Green, Light Buttermilk
- Aleene’s No-Sew Fabric Glue
scissors, ruler, pencil, straight pins, paper towels, water basin, paper plate for palette, white copy paper, graphite paper, black permanent marker, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Measure, mark, and cut two 9”x10” red ticking fabric rectangles. Pin right sides together; use sewing machine to sew together with 1/4” seam allowance, leaving 3” opening on 9” bottom for stuffing. Turn right side out. Stuff with fiberfill and whipstitch opening closed using sewing needle and thread.
- Cut one 7”x8” dark green felt rectangle using pinking shears. Adhere rectangle to center of pillow front using fabric glue; let dry. Using straight scissors, cut 6-1/2”x7-1/2” cross-stitch fabric rectangle; fray first five rows of threads on each side.
- Print out patterns on white copy paper. Transfer Santa’s head onto center of frayed cross-stitch fabric and hat trim onto 2”x5” white felt rectangle using graphite paper and pencil. Cut out hat trim using straight scissors.
- On covered work surface, paint Santa’s face Base Flesh using wash. Drybrush cheeks Petal Pink. Paint hat Country Red and mustache Light Buttermilk. On hat trim, paint row of Country Red berries and Hauser Medium Green holly leaves using round. Let dry.
- Position buttons on Santa’s face paper pattern until pleased with arrangement. Thread three strands of ivory embroidery floss onto embroidery needle and knot end. Beginning at top of design, sew each button onto beard working in rows and knotting off at end of floss length. Re-thread needle as needed until all areas of beard and sideburns are covered. Attach bell on end of hat.
- Draw Santa’s facial features with black permanent marker. Adhere hat trim to hat and Santa’s face rectangle onto pillow using fabric glue. Let dry.