Saturday Market Bag
- Purse lining fabric, 3/4 yd.
- Purse exterior fabric, 3/4 yd.
- Contrasting-color fabric, four 4”x24” rectangles
- Sewing machine and thread
scissors, rotary cutter and self-healing mat, straight pins
- 1. All seam allowances are 1/2”.
- 1. Cut two 16”x22” rectangles from purse lining fabric, two 5”x27” rectangles from purse lining fabric (for handles), three 8”x16” rectangles from purse exterior fabric, one 16”x22” rectangle from purse exterior fabric, four 4”x21” rectangles from contrasting color fabrics (for ruffles).
- 2. For handle, position handle pieces with right sides together. Stitch along side seams. Turn right side out. Press and topstitch side seam 1/4” from edge.
- 3. For ruffles, press selvages under on all sides of strips. Stitch edges. Press. Baste stitch along top of rectangle. Pull baste thread to gather ruffle. Repeat with other three ruffles.
- 4. Arrange ruffles along one 8”x16” exterior fabric rectangle. Pin and stitch along top of each ruffle to secure.
- 5. Stitch remaining 8”x16” exterior rectangles to side seams of ruffled rectangle. Press seams open. With right sides together, pin side seams of exterior purse front to exterior purse back. Stitch side seams and bottom seam.
- 6. Stitch side seams and bottom seam of interior purse together.
- 7. Follow Fig. 1 to create gussets.
- 8. Pin handle to side seam of exterior purse with right sides together and selvages aligned. Position interior purse over exterior purse keeping right sides together. Align top edges and pin. Stitch around edges, leaving 4” opening. Turn purse right side out through opening. Press edges. Topstitch 1/8” around all edges.