Clay Heart Pockets
- AMACO: Mexican Pottery Clay or Magic Mud
- Thin ribbon, 12" length
- Heart-shaped metal cookie cutter
- Acrylic brayer (or clay dedicated rolling pin)
newspaper (to cover work surface), ruler, toothpick
- On covered work surface, remove clay from package. To condition, roll clay in hands until soft, bending and rolling until pliable. If clay cracks, keep conditioning. Use clay-dedicated rolling pin to roll clay into 1/4"-thick sheet.
- Use heart cookie cutter to cut shape from clay sheet. Repeat process creating second heart shape.
- Use toothpick to poke hole in center top of each heart. Remove excess clay.
- Press heart shapes together, creating pocket shape. Use fingers to smooth edges together. Let pockets dry completely.
- Measure and cut 12" ribbon length. Thread ribbon end through hole on top of heart; loop and knot ends together.
- 1. While pocket is still wet, use toothpick to write message or draw design on outside of pocket.
- 2. Mexican Pottery Clay dries into a pink color and Magic Mud dries into an off-white color.