Monarch Butterfly Metamorphosis
- Poster board or foam core board, 8-1/2"x11"
- Polyform Studio by Sculpey Clay: Clover, Wasabi, Whipped Cream, After Midnight, Clementine
- Yellow cardstock
- Orange rickrack
- Orange felt, scrap
- Jacquard Lumiere Paints: Pearlescent Turquoise
- Recycled pop tab
- Toothpicks, two
- Old or promo credit card (for cutter)
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin or wooden dowel
- Parchment-lined baking sheet
- Aleene's Original Tacky Glue
scissors, ruler, toothpick, black marker, paintbrush, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Adults, help kids when baking clay in oven.
- On covered work surface, paint foam core board Pearlescent Turquoise. Let dry.
- Measure and cut two 8" and two 11-1/2" rickrack lengths. Glue rickrack along board edges. Let dry.
- On clean work surface, remove clay from packages. To condition, roll clay separately in hands until soft, bending and rolling until pliable. If clay cracks, keep conditioning.
- For leaves and stem, roll small Clover ball into log. Press log flat. Cut four leaf shapes from log. Use toothpick to add vein lines on leaves. For stem, roll 7"-long Clover log. Press leaves on stem.
- For larva, roll 3" Wasabi ball. Press ball into log. Roll tiny logs of Whipped Cream and After Midnight together. Wrap logs around larva. Roll tiny After Midnight balls (legs) and tiny Whipped Cream balls (eggs). Press legs and eggs on stem. Press larva on stem.
- For pupa, roll small Wasabi ball into teardrop shape. Use toothpick to make spiral on pupa. Press pupa on leaf.
- For butterfly, roll After Midnight clay into 1/8"-thick sheet. Cut two wing shapes from sheet. Roll small Clementine balls; flatten and create teardrop shapes. Press shapes on wings. Roll small Whipped Cream logs; flatten and press onto wings. For body, roll small After Midnight log. For eyes, roll two tiny After Midnight balls; press eyes on head. Press wings on sides of body.
- For antennae, use black marker to color toothpicks. Break toothpick in half. Insert toothpick halves in heads of larva and butterfly.
- Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake clay items on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool completely.
- Glue clay items on board. Use computer to print or black marker to write names of metamorphosis stages on white paper. Glue names onto yellow cardstock. Trim around edges, creating signs. Glue signs by clay items.