Scary Bones Costume
- Black sweatshirt and sweatpants
- DecoArt Americana Snow (Titanium) White Acrylic Paint
- DecoArt So Soft Fabric Paints: Hauser Dark Green, Dark Chocolate, Christmas Red
- DecoArt Textile Medium
- Loew-Cornell: American Painter Flat Paintbrush, Series 4550, 1”; Sea Wool Sponge
- Compressed sponges, 8”x11”, three
scissors, masking tape, plastic bags (to cover surface), disposable plastic cups
- 1. Adults help smaller kids cut bones from compressed sponges.
- 1. Print and cut out patterns. Cut patterns from sponges. Wet sponges with water; squeeze out excess.
- 2. Cover work surface with plastic bags. Line inside of sweatshirt and sweatpants with plastic bags.
- 3. Mix Snow (Titanium) White paint and textile medium in plastic cup. Use paintbrush to apply paint to one sponge pattern piece.
- 4. Press sponge pattern piece onto sweatshirt, hold for a few seconds, and then remove. Let dry.
- 5. Repeat, using all pattern pieces on sweatshirt and sweatpants. Refer to photo for placement. Let dry.
- 6. Using 1/2” piece of sea sponge, sponge Dark Chocolate around edges of bones. Wash sponge. Repeat using Hauser Dark Green and Christmas Red, washing sponge between each paint color. Let dry.
- 7. Remove plastic bags from sweatshirt and sweatpants. Heat set costume in dryer on low heat for 30 minutes.
- 1. For an even creepier look, add a little glow-in- the-dark medium or paint to your textile medium/white paint mixture! Visit your local craft store for a variety of acrylic and fabric glow-in-the-dark paints!
- 2. Teach your kids the names of the bones in the human body as you sponge paint the skeleton together!