- Clay or plastic pots: 10-3/4” diameter, one; 13” diameter, two
- Clay or plastic saucer, 10-3/4” diameter
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paint: Snow (Titanium) White, Lamp Black, Lavender, Calico Red, Bright Green
- Watercolor paper, 140 lb., 5”x8”, or lavender craft foam
- Black felt, 29”x54”
- Red satin ribbon, 1/4”-wide, 45” length
- DecoArt Acrylic Spray Sealer
- Daler-Rowney Robert Simmons Expression Brushes: Flat Shader, Series E60, #16; Pointed Round, Series E85, #2, 4, 12; Liner, Series E51, #1
- Sponge brush
- Tulip Sparkle Spray Fabric Spray Glitter, Silver (FLSS3)
- Industrial-strength adhesive gel
scissors, ruler, pencil, transfer paper
- 1. Finished size is 32-1/2" tall.
- 1. Use photo as painting guide throughout. Use a sponge brush to basecoat. If using plastic pots, lightly sand pots and apply several thin coats of paint to prevent chipping. Use specialty plastic paints if desired.
- 1. Basecoat both sides of paper Lavender. Print and cut out patterns. Trace one ear and one reverse ear onto paper. (Note: If the project will be used outdoors, use craft foam for ears.) Use liner brush and Lamp Black to paint details. Cut out ears; set aside.
- 2. For feet, turn saucer upside down. Basecoat Lavender. Use liner and Lamp Black to paint vertical line. Set aside.
- 3. For legs, transfer jacket pattern to one 13” pot, starting at top of rim and extending line around pot. Basecoat pot Lamp Black below and Bright Green above line. Use liner to paint vertical Snow (Titanium) White line down center of legs, and Lamp Black lines down center and around bottom of jacket. Set aside.
- 4. For body, basecoat remaining 13” pot Bright Green. Transfer hand/bat pattern to center of pot. Use the following: #16 flat to paint hands Lavender and bat Lamp Black; #12 round to paint bat’s eyes Snow (Titanium) White; liner and Lamp Black to paint sleeve lines, center jacket lines, pocket lines, stitching lines, and to outline hands; #2 round and Lamp Black to paint bat’s pupils, hair strands, movement lines around wings, and jacket buttons; liner and Snow (Titanium) White to add highlight lines on each button. Use liner and Snow (Titanium) White for bat’s smile and detail lines. Set aside.
- 5. For head, transfer face. Basecoat rim, areas around face, and inside of pot Lamp Black; basecoat face Lavender. Use the following: #12 round to paint eyes Snow (Titanium) White; #4 round to paint pupils Lamp Black; #16 flat to fill in mouth with Black; #2 round to paint teeth Snow (Titanium) White; #12 round to paint nose and tongue Calico Red. Dry brush cheeks Calico Red. Use liner and Lamp Black to add mouth details and outline eyes and nose; add Snow (Titanium) White highlight lines to cheeks, nose, and pupils.
- 6. Spray all sections with several light coats of sealer. Fold tab sections of ears back and adhere to face. Stack pots, adhering together if desired. For plastic pots, if displaying outside, first place weight in bottom pot, then adhere.
- 7. For cape, cut ten 3/4” vertical slits, 2” in from ends and 5” apart, 2-1/2” from top of one long end of felt. Weave ribbon through slits. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to spray one side of cape with glitter. To attach cape, tie ribbon in bow around neck.
- 1. Based on a design by Irene Mueller.