Our Family Tree of Love
- Craft plywood, 6"x12", two
- Lightweight plywood, 12"x24"
- Craft foam, 11-1/2" square
- Jute twine, 16" length
- Light blue print paper
- Sizzix Die-Cutting Machine and Hearts Die
- Hand drill with bit
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Baby Blue, Honey Brown, Santa Red, Evergreen, Milk Chocolate, True Red, Hauser Light Green, Napthol Red, Winter Blue
- Craft glue
scissors, ruler, transfer paper, pencil, black marker, paintbrush, sponge scrap, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Adults, help kids when cutting wood and holes.
- Measure and cut 9"x12" rectangle from lightweight plywood sheet using ruler and scissors. Mark and drill two holes, 1" from edges, on top of rectangle (for hanger).
- On covered work surface, mix Baby Blue with Winter Blue, creating light blue color. Paint rectangle light blue. Let dry.
- Measure and cut 9"x12" rectangle from light blue print paper. Adhere paper on front of rectangle.
- Print and cut out pattern. Transfer pattern onto one 6"x12" plywood sheet. Use scissors to cut trunk from plywood sheet.
- Paint trunk Honey Brown; highlight trunk Milk Chocolate. Let dry. Adhere trunk on rectangle.
- Lightly sponge paint top of tree Hauser Light Green. Let dry.
- Use machine and Heart die to cut heart shapes in small, medium, and large sizes from remaining 6"x12" plywood sheet. Paint hearts True Red, Santa Red, and Napthol Red. Let dry.
- Use black marker to write grandparents' and parents’ names on large hearts, children’s names on medium hearts, and random alphabet letters on small hearts.
- Measure and cut small circles from foam sheet. Adhere foam circles on back of hearts (to create dimensional look). Adhere hearts on tree with grandparents at top of tree and parents and children on branches below. Adhere small alphabet hearts at base of tree. Let dry.
- For hanger, measure and cut 16" jute twine length. Thread twine ends through holes on top of rectangle; knot ends.
- 1. Apply dimensional glue dots to back of hearts instead of cutting circles from foam sheet.