Standing Clay Tree
- Polyform Sculpey Bake Shop Clay: Brown, Beige, Tan, Green
- Copper craft wire
- Green cardstock, scraps
- Wallet-size family photos
- Old or promo credit card (for cutter)
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin or acrylic roller
- Wire cutters
- Parchment-lined baking sheet
- Aleene's Super Thick Tacky Glue
scissors, ruler, aluminum foil, toothpicks
- Adults, help kids when using wire cutters and baking clay in oven.
- On clean work surface, remove clay from packages. To condition, roll clay separately in hands until soft, bending and rolling until pliable. If clay cracks, keep conditioning.
- Roll Beige, Tan, and Brown clays into 1/4"-thick sheets. Stack sheets together; roll into 1/4"-thick sheet. Use old credit card to cut layered sheet in half; stack halves together. Repeat process, rolling sheet, cutting in half, and stacking together. (This creates color stripes in clay.)
- Position layered sheet on aluminum foil sheet. Roll 1"-thick by 4"-long log (for tree trunk). Wrap clay around foil, forming tree trunk shape. Pinch end forming roots. Position tree trunk upright; slightly flatten bottom so tree trunk stands.
- Use fingers to form top of tree trunk into branches. Use excess clay to form other branches; blend edges together.
- Use wire cutters to cut 5"-long wire lengths. Coil one end of wire length (to hold photo). Insert other end of wire into tree branches.
- For leaves, roll small 1" Green clay balls. Form balls into teardrop shapes. Use toothpick to add vein lines on leaves. Press leaves on branches.
- Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake tree on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool completely.
- Trim wallet-size photos of family members. Glue family member faces onto green cardstock scraps. Cut around each face creating leaf shape. Position photos in wire curls on tree.