Mad Hatter Hat & Pocket Watch
- Black poster board, three 14"x22" sheets
- Recycled tuna can
- White cardstock
- Black cording, 24" length
- Thick satin ribbon, 20" length
- Black alphabet stickers, 1/2": 1, 2, 3, 6, 9
- Metal chain, 30" length
- Large silver jump ring
- Small rhinestones, 12
- Aleene's Quick Drying Tacky Glue
scissors, ruler, black marker, clear tape
- Adults, help kids when punching holes in can.
- For hat, measure and cut 9"x22" black rectangle. Measure and mark line, 1" from edge, along long edge of rectangle. Cut slits along line; bend tabs to inside. Wrap rectangle (with tabs on bottom) into cylinder shape; glue along edges. Let dry.
- For hat brim, trace 7" circle (use bottom of bowl) on poster board sheet. Trace 6" circle on center of 7" circle. Cut out 7" circle from poster board. Cut center 6" circle from 7" circle, creating brim shape. Cut 1/4" slits along one edge, creating tabs.
- Position hat brim along bottom of hat. Glue along tabs. For hat top, measure and cut 6" black circle. Glue circle along top edges of hat. Use clear tape to reinforce top on inside.
- Measure and cut and ribbon length same-size as area around hat. For buckle, cut 5" square from black poster board. Cut out inside 2" square on buckle. Insert ribbon end through buckle. Glue ribbon and buckle around hat above brim. Let dry.
- Measure and cut 4"x6" white cardstock rectangle. Use black marker to write "in this style 10/6" on white rectangle. Tuck rectangle in ribbon around hat.
- For pocket watch, glue black poster board scraps around metal can. Let dry. Trace and cut 3" circle from white cardstock. Glue circle inside can. For clock, press 12, 3, 6, and 9 black stickers on white circle.
- Use hole punch to punch two holes, about 1/2" apart on top of pocket watch. Insert jump ring through holes; attach on metal chain length.
- Glue rhinestones randomly on pocket watch.