Maple Leaf Placemats & Tree Ring Coasters
- National Nonwovens WoolFelt: Pumpkin Spice, 2/3 yd.; Chocolate, 1/4 yd.
- Burlap, 1/4 yd.
- Kreinik Brown Ribbon, 1/8”-wide
- Polyform Sculpey: Premo! Clay: Copper, Red Glitter; White Ultralight
- The Warm Co.: Poly-Fil Natural Cotton Batting; fast2fuse Heavyweight Craft Pack, 15”x18”
- Sewing machine and thread
- Small natural leaf
- DecoArt So Soft Fine Glitter Fabric Paint: Gold Glitz, Sizzling Red, Tiger Orange
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Hauser Light Green, Light Avocado, Avocado
- DecoArt Americana Fabric Painting Medium; Duraclear Satin Varnish
- Royal and Langnickel Bordeaux Series 6900f paintbrushes: Flat, #6, 10; Round, #12
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille paintbrushes: Series 7550C Glaze/Wash 1”; Series 7300C Shader #2, 4, 6
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin, parchment-lined baking sheet, and oven
- Hot glue gun and sticks
scissors, ruler, craft knife, needle and thread, nail file, safety pins, transfer paper, pencil, paint bowls, newspaper
Maple Leaf Placemat
- 1. Print out full-size patterns. Cut four leaves from Pumpkin Spice felt.
- 2. On covered work surface, mix 1:2 mixture Fabric Painting Medium and each Glitter Fabric Paint (Gold Glitz, Sizzling Red, Tiger Orange) separately in each paint bowl. Paint leaves Sizzling Red mixture around outer edges and along stems using #6 flat. While still wet, paint leaves from outer red edge in about 1” Tiger Orange using #10 flat to blend. While still wet, blend red and orange edges together with Gold Glitz using #12 round. Let dry.
- 3. Condition and roll Copper and Red Glitter clays into 1/4” beads. Use large sewing needle to make hole through center of each bead. Roll 20 Copper and 20 Red Glitter beads for each placemat. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake beads on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool.
- 4. Use machine to zigzag stitch Brown ribbon down center of leaf for vein lines. Hand sew clay beads around edges of leaves in clusters of three. Repeat steps create additional placemats.
Tree Ring Coaster
- 1. Condition and roll Ultralight clay to 1/8” thickness. Press small natural leaf on the clay and gently roll rolling pin over leaf. Use craft knife to cut out leaf shape from clay. Repeat to make one additional leaf. (Note: For each coaster, you will need two clay leaves.) Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake leaves on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool. Smooth edges using nail file or sandpaper.
- 2. On covered work surface, paint leaf Hauser Light Green using #6 shader. Let dry. Beginning at stem, feather Light Avocado out towards leaf tips using #4 shader; leave 1/2” unpainted on tips. Let dry. Paint stem and blend colors into veins Avocado using #2 shader; drybrush along vein lines. Let dry. Wash entire leaf with varnish using glaze/wash brush. Let dry. Repeat for remaining leaf. Set aside.
- 3. Print out full-size patterns. For each coaster, cut two large tree rings from Chocolate felt and one small tree ring each from burlap, fusible webbing, and batting.
- 4. Position fusible webbing on back of one large tree ring. Layer batting on top of fusible webbing and small tree ring on top of batting. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse pieces together.
- 5. Position burlap tree ring centered on top of fused tree ring. Machine zigzag stitch Brown ribbon in circular pattern on burlap tree ring. Stitch outer edges of tree ring 1/8” from selvage; trim thread ends. Hot glue clay leaves onto outer edges. Let dry. Repeat steps to create additional coasters.