Suitcase Memo Board
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam, 2”x12”x36” sheet, two
- Foam-core board, 20”x30, one
- Hot pink fabrics, 45”-wide, 1 yd. each: semi-sheer; solid
- Quilt batting, 26”x30”
- Hot pink braid trim, 1/4”-wide, 7 yds.
- Upholstery thread
- Black purse handle
- Flat black buttons, 1/2”, 12
- Crystal rhinestones, 8mm, 1 pkg.
- Black pre-made tag or black cardstock scrap
- Decorative paper scraps: pink, white
- Letter and flower embellishments of choice
- Coordinating fibers or pre-made tassel
- Serrated knife
- Craft or utility knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- T-pins, 1-1/4" long
- Large sewing needle (that will fit through buttonholes)
- Aleene’s Thick Designer Tacky Glue
- Optional: FloraCraft Styro Wonder Cutter Electric Tool (in place of knife and candle stub)
scissors, pencil, yardstick or ruler
- 1. Use craft knife to cup foam-core board and a serrated knife waxed with a candle for foam sheet. (Optional: Use electric cutting tool in place of knife and candle stub to cut foam sheet.)
- 1. Measure and draw one 24”x20” rectangle onto foam-core board; cut out rectangle. Measure and cut out two 12"x20" foam sheets.
- 2. Adhere foam sheet rectangles to foam-core board; secure with t-pins inserted through foam-core side. Foam-core side is back of memo board, foam sheet side is front.
- 3. Apply adhesive to front of board and center on top of quilt batting. Tightly wrap edges around to back; secure with t-pins dipped in glue.
- 4. Wrap lighter fabric around front of board, covering batting. Secure at back with glue-dipped t-pins.
- 5. Cut four 32” lengths and three 28” lengths from braid trim. Using photo as guide, drape braid lengths evenly spaced across front of board. Secure intersections with t-pins, but do not adhere. Wrap and adhere ends to back of board; secure with glue-dipped t-pins.
- 6. Remove one t-pin at a time from board front and sew a button in its place. Pull thread tightly at back of board to give front a “puffy” look. Knot thread at back of each individual button to secure.
- 7. Cut four 13” squares from solid fabric. Fold each in half diagonally and place over board corners as shown. Secure at back of board with glue-dipped t-pins. Glue rhinestones across folded edge of each corner and to each button; let dry.
- 8. Position handle as shown and secure with t-pins. Sew handle to board through fabric and batting.
- 9. Cut an 18”x22” rectangle from solid fabric. Adhere to center back of board; secure with t-pins.
- 1. Cut tag shape from black cardstock. Layer and adhere torn pieces of white and pink paper to tag. Adhere letter and flower embellishments to tag as desired. Tie tag to handle with cord, yarn, and/or tassel as desired.
- 1. Sewing buttons to foam tightens trim lines, making it easier to hold photos in place.