Appliqué Trick-or-Treat Bags
- Cotton fabric, 1 yd.
- Lining fabric, 1 yd.
- Cotton fabric scraps: black, 8”x9”; grey, 3”x5”; dark pink, 1”x1”; orange, 4”x6”; yellow, 4”x6”; white, 4”x5”; beige, 3”x5”; purple, 2”x4”
- Medium-weight fusible interfacing, 1-7/8 yds.
- Embroidery floss: black, light grey, coordinating-color as cotton fabric
- Orange ribbon, 1/4”-wide, 12” length
- Wiggle eyes, 18mm, four
- Pink button, 1/2”
- Sewing machine and thread
- Therm O Web Lite Heat N Bond Iron-On Adhesive, 5/8 yd.
- Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive
cardstock, pencil, paper, iron, sewing and embroidery needles, 7” embroidery hoop, scissors
- Print out patterns. Print patterns onto cardstock; cut out. Trace cardstock patterns onto fabric; cut out. Trace patterns onto iron-on adhesive; cut out.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse iron-on adhesive onto coordinating fabric piece. Turn pattern pieces upside down so ink side is facing paper-backed iron-on adhesive. Trace around each piece; cut out. Discard paper backing. Set aside.
- Cut outer bag fabric into two 13”x15” rectangles. Repeat for lining fabric and fusible interfacing. For handles, cut two 4”x15” strips from outer bag fabric.
- Position one outer bag piece with right side facing up on ironing board. Position appliqués so that upper edge of appliqué is 2-1/2” down from top edge of bag and centered from left to right. (Note: Appliqué will measure 7” tall once positioned on fabric.) Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse in place. (Note: When assembling candy corn, the yellow center section will overlap white and orange pieces by about 1/4”.)
- Position fabric in embroidery hoop. Separate embroidery floss into two three-strand sections. Blanket stitch around appliqués using coordinating-color floss. Use light grey floss and backstitch to stitch cat whiskers. Use black floss and backstitch to stitch candy corn smile. For cat, attach 1/2” button below nose.
- Iron outer bag with appliqués. Turn piece over so back side is facing up on work surface. Position fusible interfacing with adhesive side down on bag; follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse in place. Repeat process for remaining outer bag piece.
- Position outer bag pieces with right sides together. Pin along edges. Machine sew up each side and across bottom using 1/2” seam allowance. Leave top edge open. Press seams open close to corners.
- Position lining pieces together with right sides facing. Pin along edges. Machine sew up each side and across bottom leaving 6” opening along center bottom. Press seams open close to corners.
- Make point in outer bag corners by lining up side seam with bottom seam. Make line across from one fold to next on 3” line; pin to secure. Stitch along line. Cut away excess fabric at corner of bag, about 1/4” from seam. Repeat process for lining. See Photos 1 and 2.
- Turn outer bag right side out. Slip outer bag inside lining so right side of lining is facing right side of outer bag. Set aside.
- For handles, fold 4”x15” fabric strip in half lengthwise; press. Take each long edge and fold to meet in center; iron and secure with pins. (Note: You will have 1”x15” strip.) Topstitch along edge (with two folds) and along other folded edge.
- Align side seams of outer bag and lining. Insert handle ends between two bag sections so handles are 3-1/2” from side seams. Pin handles and edges of bag together. See Photos 3 and 4.
- Sew around bag, using 1/2” seam allowance, attaching outer bag, lining, and handle strips together. Turn bag right side out through 6” opening on bottom of lining. Pin opening; sew closed. Position lining inside bag. Press upper edge at seam; pin to secure. Topstitch around upper edge of bag about 1/8” from top.
- Adhere wiggle eyes on faces. Tie orange ribbon bow; adhere on cat’s face.