Pumpkin Patch Pillow
- Pillow form, 12”x12"
- Natural linen, 1/6 yd.
- Homespun fabrics: top/bottom border, two different prints, 1/8 yd. each; pumpkin, orange scraps (three prints); stems, green scraps (three prints); backing of choice, 3/8 yd.
- Flat buttons, 3/8”: three green; two each: yellow, dark orange, light orange
- Black jumbo rick rack
- 6-strand embroidery floss, black
- Sewing machine and thread
- Embroidery needle
- Therm O Web HeatnBond Lite Iron-On Adhesive
scissors, pencil, iron and ironing board, transfer paper
- Print and cut out patterns. Cut 6”x12-1/2” linen rectangle. Cut 3-3/4”x12-1/2” strip from each border fabric. Sew top/bottom border strips to center panel with right sides facing and 1/4” seam allowance.
- Cut pieces from iron-on adhesive slightly larger than pumpkins and stems. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse stems to green fabrics and pumpkins to orange fabrics. Cut out pumpkins; cut 2”x1” stems.
- Remove backing and adhere pumpkins and stems to center panel, following manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer details to pumpkins and words to top/bottom borders. Use two floss strands to blanket stitch around pumpkins and stems, and to stem stitch pumpkin mouths and words. Sew yellow and orange buttons to pumpkins at eye dots, and sew green buttons to stem bottoms.
- Cut three 4” jute lengths. Knot centers; unravel ends. Sew knots to stems with floss.
- Sew rick rack along pillow front, 1/4” from edges, beginning and ending in bottom corner and sewing through center of rick rack.
- Cut 12-1/2” square for backing. Sew together front and back panels along rick rack stitching, with right sides facing, leaving 10” opening at bottom. Trim corners; turn right side out. Insert pillow form. Hand sew opening closed.