Bug in Amber Necklace
- Staedtler FIMO Liquid Decorating Gel, one bottle
- Plastic or rubber spider or insect
- Ribbon or leather cording, 15” length
- Metal spoon
- Oven-bake clay, small amount
- Yellow food coloring
- Baking sheet and oven
teaspoon, toothpick, disposable plastic cup, oven mitts, dishtowel, toothpick, aluminum foil, craft knife
- Adults, help kids when using oven and craft knife.
- Pour 1-2 teaspoons of decorating gel into small disposable cup. See Photo 1. Add one drop yellow food coloring to decorating gel; mix using toothpick. See Photo 2.
- Position ball of oven-bake clay under spoon on baking tray. Prop up handle using dishtowel so spoon sits flat. See Photo 3.
- Pour small amount of mixed yellow decorating gel into spoon. See Photo 4. Position plastic or rubber bug upside down into liquid in spoon. See Photo 5. Pour mixed yellow decorating gel over bug in spoon. See Photo 6.
- Position paperclip over yellow decorating gel in spoon allowing loop end to extend past edge of spoon. See Photo 7. Loosely cover tray with foil and bake in oven for 20 minutes at 265ºF. Let cool.
- Gently run blade of craft knife along edge of spoon to loosen amber bug. Peel amber bug from spoon. Thread leather cording through paperclip loop; knot ends. See Photo 8.