Fabric Belt with Plumeria Pin
- Fabric, 1/8 yd.
- Lining fabric, 1/8 yd.
- C&T Publishing Shape-Flex Interfacing Craft Pack, 20”x45”
- Polyform Sculpey Ultralight Clay
- National Nonwovens WoolFelt, scrap
- Belt clasp
- Pin clasp
- Sewing machine and thread
- DecoArt Americana: Acrylic Paints: Peony Pink, Lemon Yellow, Razzle Berry; Pearlizing Medium; Glamour Dust
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille Golden Taklon paintbrushes: Series 7730 Aura 1/2”, 1”; Series 7300C Shader #2; Series 7000 Round #2
- DecoArt Americana Satin Varnish
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin, parchment-lined baking sheet, oven
- Hot glue gun and sticks
scissors, craft knife, ruler or measuring tape
- Print out patterns. Roll ultralight clay to 1/4” thickness. Use craft knife to cut five petals from clay. Pinch end of each petal into point. Roll three 1/8” balls. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake petals and balls on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool.
- Paint petals (1:1) mixture of Peony Pink and Pearlizing Medium using 1” aura brush covering both sides. Let dry. Repeat process with second coat. While still wet, use shader to blend Razzle Berry from center to 1/2” out on petals. Use round to feather color into fan shape. Let dry. Use 1/2” aura brush to paint balls (flower center) Lemon Yellow. While still wet, sprinkle Glamour Dust on balls. Let dry.
- Measure and cut 2”-diameter circle from WoolFelt scrap. Layer petals on circle so they fan out from center in star-like pattern. Hot glue petals to circle. Hot glue flower center in cluster on center. Using 1” aura brush, coat entire flower with satin varnish. Let dry. Attach pin clasp to back of flower using hot glue.
- Measure around waist area where belt will sit. Add 4” to measurement. Cut rectangle 5” by “your measurement” from belt fabric, lining fabric, and Shape-Flex Interfacing. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse Shape-Flex Interfacing to wrong side of belt fabric.
- Position right sides of belt fabric and lining fabric together. Sew along length using 1/2” seam allowance. Turn belt right side out through end openings. Press well. Machine topstitch 1/8” from each edge.
- Wrap ends of belt through each side of belt clasp; gather together and pin. Put belt on waist and make any size adjustments.
- Fold selvage under and machine zigzag stitch across ends several times to secure. Attach Plumeria pin on front of belt.