Hexagon Table Topper with Detachable Coasters
- Coordinating cotton print fat quarters, one each: large flower print, medium flower print, small flower print, teal stripes, yellow print; white, two
- Batting, 8-1/2”x9-1/2” rectangles, seven
- White two-hole buttons, 5/8”, six
- Prym-Dritz Soft Stretch Elastic, 1/8”-wide, 2” lengths, six
- White sewing thread
- Sewing machine and thread
- Rotary cutter and cutting mat
- Iron and pressing surface
scissors, ruler, needle
- 1. Sew all seams with right sides together using 1/4” seam allowance. Press open all seams.
- 1. Print out patterns. Trace and cut out hexagon shape.
- 2. (Note: Large flower print (A), medium flower print (B), small flower print (C), teal stripes (D), yellow print (E), white (F).) Cut the following from fabrics: A, three 8-1/2”x9-1/2” rectangles, three hexagons; B, three 8-1/2”x9-1/2” rectangles, three hexagons; C, one 8-1/2”x9-1/2” rectangle, two 1-1/2”x3” strips, two 1-1/2”x4” strips, two 1-1/2”x5” strips; D, six 1-1/2”x3” strips, six 1-1/2”x4” strips, six 1-1/2”x5” strips; E, one hexagon, six 1-1/2”x3” strips, six 1-1/2”x4” strips, six 1-1/2”x5” strips; F, fourteen 1-1/2”x5” strips, fourteen 1-1/2”x6” strips, fourteen 1-1/2”x7” strips.
- 3. Sew 3”-long D strips to top and bottom of A hexagons. Trim strips. Sew 4”-long D strips to top left and right sides of A hexagons. Trim strips. Sew 5”-long D strips to bottom left and right sides of A hexagons. Trim strips. See Fig. 1 diagram.
- 4. Repeat Step 3, sewing E strips to B hexagons and C strips to E hexagon. Trim each set of strips after sewing.
- 5. Sew F strips in same way as Step 3 to all seven hexagons, beginning with 5” strips.
- 6. Measure and cut seven 8-1/2”x9-1/2” batting rectangles. Position A rectangles right side up on batting rectangles. Pin A hexagons wrong side up on top of A rectangles. Sew around hexagons leaving 3” opening on one side. Cut out hexagons. Clip corners, turn inside out, and press.
- 7. Repeat Step 6 with B rectangles and hexagons, C rectangle, and E hexagon.
- 8. Measure and cut six 2” lengths of elastic. Fold each length in half. Fold in openings; slide in folded edges of elastic loops about 1/4” into opening. (Note: Make sure edges are in center of each hexagon side.) Pin lengths to one side edge of each hexagon. Machine topstitch 1/8” around edges on hexagons, attaching elastic lengths. Quilt as desired.
- 9. Hand sew button near center edge on each side of E hexagon. Attach elastic loops to buttons.