America Doorknob Hanger
- Red ticking fabric, 1/4 yd.
- Blue ticking fabric, strip, 1”x12”
- Muslin, square, 10”x10”
- White tiny pom-pom trim, 17” length
- Wire, 18-gauge, 12” length
- Embellishments: star brads, vintage button, tulle flower
- Fairfield Poly-Fil Low-Loft Quilt Batting
- Vintage photo
- Wire cutters, round-nose pliers
- Sewing machine and thread
- Computer and printer
- Jacquard Products Cotton Inkjet Fabric Sheets
- Scallop-edge scissors
- Black pigment ink and 1” alphabet stamps
- The Warm Company Lite Steam-a-Seam
- Aleene’s: Fabric Fusion, Liquid Fusion
iron and pressing surface, rotary cutter and mat, ruler or measuring tape, wax paper
- Using rotary cutter and mat, cut two 6”x9” red ticking fabric rectangles. Set aside.
- Print 2-1/2”x4” patriotic vintage photo onto cotton inkjet fabric. Cut out photo leaving 1/8” border. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse webbing onto back of cotton photo and 4”x5” muslin square. Cut around photo leaving 1/8” border. Cut fused muslin into two pieces measuring 3-1/2”x5” and 1-1/8”x2-1/2”. Peel away paper backing and fuse photo on center of 3-1/2”x5” muslin rectangle. Center and sew around photo 1/2” from edges. Fuse photo rectangle on center of one red ticking rectangle. Fuse 1-1/8”x2-1/2” muslin rectangle below photo rectangle. (Note: Use wax paper to cover photo while fusing.)
- Stamp “USA” or desired sentiment with black pigment ink on smaller fused muslin rectangle. Use iron on low setting to heat set ink.
- Use sewing machine to sew straight stitch around fused rectangles, approximately 1/8” from edges. Place wrong sides of ticking rectangles together. Sew top and sides together, approximately 3/4” from edges, leaving bottom open for stuffing. Turn right side out. Stuff rectangle with polyfil. Sew bottom opening closed.
- Use scallop-edge scissors to cut decorative border around ticking rectangle edges.
- Line edges of photo rectangle with pom-pom trim using generous amount of Fabric Fusion. Cut edges as you turn corners.
- Use wire cutters to cut 12” wire length. Insert wire ends along top edge of rectangle; use round-nose pliers to curl ends. Tear 1”x12” blue ticking fabric strip; wrap and tie strip into bow around hanger.
- Adhere star brads, vintage button, and tulle flowers in cluster on top of rectangle using Fabric Fusion.