Quilted Sunglasses Case
- Cotton fabric, 1/3 yd.
- Fairfield Poly-Fil Low-Loft quilt batting, 1/3 yd.
- Embroidery thread
- Polyform Sculpey Ultralight Clay
- Beadalon: small Components Badge Clip; Scrimp Findings Round 4.5mm, Memory Wire, 8.5mm Sterling Silver Jump Rings
- Assorted beads, in coordinating colors
- Beadalon: Knotting Pliers, Wire snips, Chain-nose Pliers
- Technique Tuesday stamps: In Bloom; Initially Yours: M
- Sewing machine
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Light Buttermilk, Warm White, Sea Glass; Dazzling Metallics Elegant Finish: Champagne Gold
- DecoArt Americana: Glazing Medium, Duraclear Gloss Varnish
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille Golden Taklon paintbrushes: Oval Wash Series 7600 1/2”, Aura Series 7730 1/2”, Round Series 7000C #2
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin, parchment-lined baking sheet, oven
scissors, measuring tape or ruler, needle, iron, small screwdriver, toothpick, paper towel
- Roll ultralight clay with rolling pin to 1/4” thickness. Cut 1-1/4”-diameter circle and 3/4”-diameter circle. Flatten both slightly. Stamp larger circle using In Bloom stamp and smaller circle using Initially Yours “M” stamp (or initial of choice.) Use toothpick to poke hole near edge of both circles. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake circles on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool.
- Use wash brush to paint both sides of flower circle Sea Glass. Paint both sides of initial circle (1:3) mixture of Light Buttermilk and Warm White. Let dry. Use round brush to paint both circles (1:1) mixtures Champagne Gold and Glazing Medium, allowing paint to saturate indentations on stamped areas. Wipe off excess paint with damp paper towel. Let dry.
- Use Aura brush to coat both sides of circles with gloss varnish. Let dry.
- Use chain-nose pliers to cut 4” chain length. Use pliers to open link on one end; attach link to badge clip. Use pliers to open one jump ring; slide clay circle over jump ring with smaller circle on top of larger circle; close jump ring. Use pliers to open last link on chain; close around jump ring.
- Use wire snips to cut 2” wire length. Attach round finding to wire end. Use small screwdriver to tighten round finding. Slide beads on wire. Use round-nose pliers to create loop at top of wire. Use chain-nose pliers to open another jump ring; attach beaded wire one link above clay circles on chain. Set aside.
- Cut two 9”x9” squares and one 2”x3” rectangle from cotton fabric. Cut one 9”x9” poly-fil quilt batting square.
- For loop, press each 3” side of 2”x3” rectangle over 1/2”. Turn over 1/2” again and press. Stitch along open edge. Set aside.
- Position one 9” cotton fabric square over quilt batting square so wrong side is against batting. Pin in place. Stitch diagonal lines, 1” apart, in one direction. Turn square; stitch diagonal lines, 1” apart, in other direction, creating diamond pattern. Trim thread ends.
- Fold quilted fabric in half, right sides facing; pin edges. Stitch open side and bottom edge with 1/2” seam allowance. Clip corners and turn right side out.
- Repeat Step 9 for un-quilted fabric square; do not turn.
- Place un-quilted piece inside quilted piece, matching side seam. Press unfinished edges under 1/2”. Pin loop into place. Whipstitch edges closed using embroidery thread. Attach embellished charms to loop using badge clip.