Prince Charming Wall Hanging & Pillow
- Fabric: two 15” squares (pillow); 14” square (hanging), 16 5” squares (hanging border); assorted print scraps (appliques); 1/4 yd. cotton fabric (hanging binding); 27” cotton square (hanging backing)
- Fabric flower appliqués (cut from fused floral fabric): four 3/4”, six 1-1/2”
- Polyester fiberfill or 14” square pillow form
- Quilt batting, 27”x27”
- Lightweight paper-backed fusible web
- Cotton embroidery floss: black, teal, pink and white
- Round crystal rhinestones, six 10mm
- Teal rick rack, two 3” lengths
- Pink polka dot ribbon, two 12” lengths
- Sheer teal ribbon, 12 3” lengths
- Teal satin ribbon roses, two
- Purple glitter glue
- Sewing machine and thread
- Rotary cutter, cutting mat, and transparent grid-lined ruler
- Embroidery needle
- Permanent fabric adhesive
scissors, iron, measuring tape
- 1. If creating for newborn, omit rhinestones and embellishments that could be harmful to baby.
- 1. Cut 14”x14” square for background block. Print out patterns. Trace appliqué pieces onto paper side of fusible web as instructed. (Note: Crown has already been reversed for tracing). Cut out pieces, leaving approximately 1/4” around each shape. Following manufacturer’s instructions, iron fusible web pieces paper side up onto wrong side of chosen fabrics. Let cool. Cut out pieces directly on traced lines. Remove paper backing from appliqué pieces. Referring to photo, fuse pieces onto background block.
- 2. Use blanket stitch to embroider appliqués around frog, ground, eyes, and cheeks using black, teal, pink, and white embroidery floss, coordinating with fabrics. Backstitch frog’s mouth using one strand black floss. Use straight stitch to stitch around flowers, hearts, and pupils.
- 3. Cut 3” teal rick rack length. Stitch rick rack length on bottom left side of frog for flower stem.
- 4. Cut out five flower appliqués from fused floral fabric. Fuse and stitch two 3/4” flower appliqués onto top center of each heart and remaining flower appliqués onto rick rack stem.
- 5. For border, cut 16 5” squares from assorted print fabrics. Position squares around center block, alternating colors and prints for contrast.
- 6. For each side border, sew three squares together using 1/4” seam allowance. Sew side borders onto center block. Repeat for top and bottom borders, sewing five squares together for each side. Press seams.
- 7. To assemble quilt top, cut backing fabric and batting 2” larger than finished size of quilt top (approximately 27” square). Using fabric spray adhesive or basting spray, baste batting in between top and bottom layers of quilt with wrong side of quilt top and backing facing. Smooth out wrinkles on fabric and batting. Pins edges. Stitch quilt as desired. Press.
- 8. Trim batting and backing fabric even with edges of quilt top.
- 9. For binding, cut three 2-1/2”-wide strips to length of fabric. Sew binding strips together, using diagonal seams, to make one strip. Trim seams to 1/4”; press open. Press in half lengthwise with wrong sides together. Sew 1/4” from edge through all layers with raw edges of binding and quilt top even. Miter corners. Trim excess. Bring folded edge of binding strip to back of quilt; hand sew binding in place.
- 10. Glue three crystal rhinestones on crown. Let dry. Cut six 3” sheer teal ribbon lengths; cut bottom edges on angle. Sew ribbon pieces on bottom of rick rack flower stem. Cut 12” pink ribbon length; tie bow. Sew bow and ribbon rose on center of ribbon cluster.
- 11. Add purple glitter glue dots on crown, cheeks, flowers, and heart appliqués if desired.
- 1. Refer to instructions for Wall Hanging to fuse and stitch Prince Charming appliqué pieces (and rick rack stem) onto one 15” square.
- 2. Pin two pillow pieces right sides together. Sew around edges of pillow using 1/2” seam allowance, leaving opening on bottom for turning. Trim corners. Turn pillow right side out; press.
- 3. Refer to instructions for Wall Hanging to add trims, embellishments, and glitter glue.
- 4. Insert 14” square pillow form or stuff firmly with polyester fiberfill. Hand sew opening closed.
- 1. Since pillow forms vary in thickness, extra stuffing can be added if necessary to fill out the sides and corner edges to the desired fullness.