Mosaic Sun Terrarium
- Glass globe vase, 6” diameter
- Mosaic glass tiles: orange, yellow, red
- Metal canning ring
- Black grout
- Potting soil, small plants, shells, decorative moss
- Glass cutter or wheeled tile nippers
- Black acrylic paint
- Clear silicone adhesive
- Permanent adhesive glue dots
toothpicks, grout sponge, disposable protective gloves, craft knife, paintbrush, tweezers, copy paper, tape, paper towels, newspaper
- Cover work area with newspaper. Remove stickers and clean bottom of glass vase. Place glass vase opening side down.
- Print out pattern onto copy paper.
- Use glass cutter or wheeled tile nippers to score and break glass tiles into pieces that match shapes on pattern. Tape pattern onto bottom inside of glass vase. Dry fit glass pieces. (Note: To dry fit, arrange glass tile pieces on outside surface of glass before gluing. This allows you to finalize design and move pieces before adhering.)
- Protect non-mosaic area on glass vase by taping paper towel on glass areas. Apply silicone adhesive with toothpick to side of glass pieces and press on bottom of glass vase following pattern. (Note: Make sure silicone adhesive covers glass pieces to edges so grout won’t seep underneath.)
- Position all glass pieces on bottom of vase, leaving space between for grout. Let silicone dry. Use craft knife and tweezers to remove silicone between glass pieces.
- Wearing gloves, apply grout over surface of glass pieces, smoothing and pressing in thoroughly. Apply grout around outside edge of glass pieces. Wipe surfaces with grout sponge or paper towels. Let dry.
- Wipe mosaic with moist grout sponge to remove any dust from grout. Set aside.
- Paint all sides of canning lid ring black. Let dry.
- Apply glue dots to rim of canning lid. Place ring on side of glass vase.
- Fill terrarium with potting soil, small plant, shells, or decorative moss.