Beach Party Favors
- Fabrics, 1/2 yd. each: burlap jute, cotton muslin
- Jewel brads
- Black craft wire, 18-gauge
- Sewing machine and black thread
- Iron, ironing board, and pressing cloth
- Wire cutters
- Heavy-duty hole punch
- Script background stamp
- Black pigment ink pad
- Jacquard Products iDye for Natural Fibers Turquoise Fabric Dye
- Adhesives: The Warm Co. Lite Steam a Seam, Aleene's Fabric Fusion
scissors, rotary cutter and cutting mat, ruler, pencil, large resealable plastic bag, measuring cup, metal spoon, old towel
- 1. Size of favor: 4"x5-1/2"
- 1. Using rotary cutter, cut two 5"x6-1/2" burlap rectangles. Tear 3/4"x18" muslin strip.
- 2. Cut 4" muslin square. Follow manufacturer's instructions to fuse webbing to back of fabric.
- 3. Pour two cups hot water into resealable plastic bag; pour dye into water and stir with spoon. Place muslin strip into bag and wait three minutes. Remove and wring out excess dye; let strip air dry on old towel.
- 4. Using photo as guide, sketch 3"-wide freehand starfish onto paper side of muslin square. Stamp front of muslin square with black script image, covering fabric. Cut out and fuse starfish to one burlap piece; press through cloth to protect iron from ink.
- 5. Sew starfish to burlap, sewing straight stitch 1/4" inside muslin edge.
- 6. Using 1/2" seam allowance, sew burlap pieces right sides together along sides and bottom edge. Steam seams open. Turn bag right side out.
- 7. Fold and sew knife pleats into muslin strip, stitching down center. Glue pleated strip around top of bag; let dry.
- 8. Punch holes in center of starfish and in each side of bag near top edge. Insert jewel brad through starfish. Cut a 10" wire length, insert ends through holes in bag, and curl to secure.
- 1. Try dyeing the burlap a contrasting color, like coral or yellow, before stitching bags, or leave muslin ruffle natural for a faster version of this favor.