- Palette: Delta Ceramcoat Acrylics: Black, Blue Storm, Coastline Blue, Coral, Cornsilk Yellow, Dark Foliage Green, Eucalyptus, Fruit Punch, Ice Storm, Lavender, Light Ivory, Mello Yellow, Mocha, Periwinkle Blue, Purple, Santa’s Flesh, Sea Grass, Spice Tan, White
- Brushes: Dynasty Black Gold: Round, Series 206R, #2, #4; Shader, Series 206S, #4, #8; Angular, Series 206A, 1/2”, 3/4”; Liner, Series 206L, 20/0; Glaze Series 206G, 1/2, 3/4”
- Wooden dragonfly yardstick (14-1/2”x31”)
- J.W. Etc.: First Step Wood Sealer; Exterior Varnish; Painter’s Finishing Wax
- Delta Sparkle Glaze
- Fine grit sandpaper
- Tack cloth
- Tracing and transfer paper
- Wood glue
- 1. Sand and wipe surface. Use 3/4” glaze brush to apply sealer. Lightly sand and wipe again.
- 2. Trace pattern; transfer body, face, arms, and hat. Use 1/2” glaze brush and Flesh Tan to base face and arms.
- 1. Base body as follows: blue sections Periwinkle Blue; lavender section Lavender; green section Eucalyptus; yellow section Mello Yellow; collar Lt. Ivory. Base hat Mello Yellow. Use 3/4” glaze brush to base wings Lt. Ivory.
- 2. Transfer remaining pattern details.
Face and Arms
- 1. Shade face and arms Spice Tan; highlight Lt. Ivory. Base eyes White, irises Periwinkle Blue, and pupils Black. Line eyelashes, eyebrows, and around eyes Black. Float cheeks with Coral, then line across top edge with brush mix of Coral + Fruit Punch. Paint nose and mouth in same manner. Dot tops of cheeks and pupils White.
- 1. For blue sections, add Lavender stripes; shade Blue Storm and highlight Coastline Blue.
- 2. For lavender section, dot Eucalyptus; shade Purple and highlight Ice Storm.
- 3. For green section, paint wide stripes Periwinkle Blue and thin stripes Mello Yellow; shade Dk. Foliage Green and highlight Sea Grass.
- 4. For yellow section, paint swirls Eucalyptus. Add small Lt. Ivory dots. Shade Spice Tan and highlight Cornsilk Yellow.
- 5. Shade collar Periwinkle Blue; add White dotted edge.
- 1. Visually section off upper wings horizontally into four parts (as noted on pattern). Start at top section and work down. (Note: Walk each color up into previous color to blend.) Wash first section Lavender, second section Coral, third section Periwinkle, and last section Eucalyptus. In same manner, apply colors to bottom wings. Shade next to body, and arms, and float creases in wings Periwinkle Blue. Deepen shading with Blue Storm if needed. Highlight along top edge of wings and opposite all shading with White.
- 1. Shade Spice Tan, repeat with Mocha to deepen. Highlight Cornsilk Yellow.
- 2. For pink flowers, base Lt. Ivory. Corner-load 1/2” angular and float petals Santa’s Flesh. Float around middle section petals with Coral. Add a few Coral petals to outside edge. Add line work here and there around outside petals with Coral and around middle petals with Fruit Punch. Dot centers Mocha.
- 3. For blue flowers, corner-load #4 shader and float petals Periwinkle Blue. Dot centers White.
- 4. Line around all flowers and centers with water-thinned Blue Storm; keep outlining light and airy.
- 1. Base Eucalyptus; shade Dk. Foliage Green and highlight Sea Grass. Line stems and leaves on hat, and rosebuds Dk. Foliage Green.
- 2. For large leaves on body, line Sea Grass. Pull Dk. Foliage Green stems and veins. Add Sea Grass highlight line to stem.
- 1. Brush wings (except outside trim) with Sparkle Glaze coat. Apply three coats varnish. Apply wax for a water-repellent protective barrier. Glue and nail stake to back.
- 2. Wooden dragonfly yardstick (14-1/2"x31") available through The Country Bug, (951)371-3423.