Seaside Cottage Pillows
- Fabrics: beige/brown script, 1/2 yd.; blue damask, 1/2 yd.; natural burlap, 1/4 yd.; brown burlap, 1/4 yd.
- White Wool Felt (National Nonwovens), 1/4 yd.
- Home Elegance Rectangle Pillow Forms (Fairfield), 18" square, two
- 6-strand Embroidery Floss (DMC): Ultra Dark Coffee Brown (938); Pearl Grey (415)
- Needles: sewing; embroidery
- Lite Steam-a-Seam (The Warm Co.)
- Iron and pressing board
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Straight pins
- Using 1/2" seam allowance, cut two 19" squares from damask and script fabrics. Press and pin as needed.
- Cut 9" squares from natural and brown burlap. Lightly pull threads to fray squares. Machine sew zigzag stitch edges of squares to prevent further fraying. Cut 8" squares from remaining damask and script fabrics. Follow manufacturer's instructions to fuse fabrics, wool felt and burlap squares to fusible webbing. (Note: Cut webbing square to 8-1/2" and fuse to center of burlap square, allowing frayed edge to remain raised from surface.) Cut 7" squares from fabric. Print out pattern. Cut shells from fused wool felt. Fuse shell to center of fused fabric squares, fabric square to burlap and burlap to center of one damask or script fabric pillow square.
- Use three strands of Pearl Grey floss to backstitch seashell details on motifs and blanket stitch edges of shells. Use three strands of Ultra Dark Coffee Brown floss to blanket stitch edges of fabric square.
- Sew wrong sides of pillow squares together, leaving bottom open for turning. Press seams open, turn right side out and insert pillow form. Hand sew opening closed.
More Seaside Cottage Inspiration
- 1. Use your stamps, paints and leftover supplies to give the other reclaimed items a fresh beach chic look, including:
- 2. Galvanized Flowerpot Tins
- 3. Trays
- 4. Framed Art
- 5. Plaques/Signs
- 6. Candle Wraps
- 7. Clocks
- 8. Wooden Storage Crates
- 9. Canning Jars
- 10. Wooden Buoys
- 11. Wooden Oars (for wall art)
- 12. Lampshades
- 13. Bathroom Accessories