Frightfully Sweet Cupcakes
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam (Dow): Cones, 6”x3”, two; Balls: 2-1/2”, one; 1”, two
- Wool roving, 1/4 oz.: natural; orange
- Creative Paperclay modeling compound (The Creative Paperclay Co.)
- Acrylic paints: black; red; orange; yellow; cream
- Gel antiquing medium
- Black crepe paper
- Cream cardstock
- Black felt scraps
- Eyelets, two
- Rickrack: orange; yellow
- Black ribbed adult socks
- Black pigment inkpad
- Felting needle
- Black button thread and needle
- Small tag paper punch
- Round toothpicks
- Eyelet setting tool
- Cosmetic-wedge sponge
- Waxed dental floss
- Paper towels
- Computer and printer
- Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive (Beacon Adhesives)
- *STYROFOAM is a registered trademark of The Dow Chemical Co.
- Insert toothpick into 1” ball. Use fingers to flatten modeling compound to 1/8” thickness. Cover each 1” ball with clay. Create two small triangle shapes and attach one to each side of ball for ears on cat’s head. Insert small piece of toothpick into top of jack-o-lantern’s head. Let dry.
- Paint cat’s head black. Let dry. Print pattern. Transfer face. Use liner to paint eyes cream, nose yellow and mouth red outlined with yellow. Let dry.
- Paint jack-o-lantern orange. Let dry. Transfer face. Use liner to paint eyes, nose and mouth black outlined with yellow. Dot eyes yellow and add small black highlight dots. Let dry.
- When dry, apply antiquing medium. Wipe off excess with paper towel and set aside.
- Cut two 14” pieces from black crepe paper in half and gather one edge with needle and button thread. Set aside.
- Measure down 2” from wide end of each cone; use dental floss to cut through foam. Save top of cones for another project.
- Cut each 2-1/2” ball in half.
- Place sock onto cone. Cut sock approximately 1” longer than bottom of cone. Repeat for remaining cone.
- Attach one half of each ball to wide portion of cone, tucking edge of sock under ball. Secure ball and cone together with toothpicks.
- Needle felt orange and natural roving onto 2-1/2” ball halves. Place small amounts of roving against ball. Punch roving into ball with needle felting needle. Repeat for remaining half of 2-1/2” ball.
- Cut and glue rickrack to fit around each cupcake.
- Trace cupcake bottom onto black felt. Cut on traced line and glue to bottom of cupcake.
- Insert cat and jack-o-lantern heads into top of each cupcake. Place gathered crepe paper under each head and pull gathers tight. Clip excess thread.
- Print desired greetings onto cream cardstock. Punch tag around printed sentiments. Attach eyelets to tags. Ink tag edges. Use button thread to tie tags to cupcakes.