Snowy Countryside Letter Holder
- Cabin Crafters Small Letter Holder with 4 Inserts (#100109), 7”x9-1/2”x1-1/2” (with 5”x6” insert)
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paint: Baby blue, Bleached Sand, Buttermilk, Cocoa, Cool White, Country Blue, Deep Midnight Blue, Evergreen, Graphite, Honey Brown, Milk Chocolate, Payne’s Grey, Red Iron Oxide, Sea Glass, Slate Grey, Snow White, Soft Lilac, Terra Coral, Violet Haze, Wasabi Green
- Royal & Langnickel brushes: Series 3080 Oval Wash Combo #1; Majestic: Series 4150 Square Shader #0, 2, 4, 6, 8; Series 4160 Angular 5/8”; Series 4170 Filbert #4; Series 4585 Liner 10/0; Series 4700 Glaze/Wash 3/4”; Debby’s Texture Brush Series 1360 small
- DecoArt: DuraClear Matte Varnish, Faux Finishing Glaze Medium, Staining Medium, Wood Sealer
- Graphic ruler
transfer paper, tracing paper, sandpaper, tack cloth
- Apply wood sealer onto insert and letter holder using glaze/wash. Lightly sand; wipe with tack cloth. Basecoat one side and edges of insert Cool White to opaque coverage using glaze/wash. (Note: Reverse side of insert can be painted with another design.)
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions to apply staining medium with Payne’s Grey on back and underside of holder. Basecoat remaining areas of holder Payne’s Grey to opaque coverage using glaze/wash.
- Print out pattern. Transfer horizon line onto holder. Corner load angle with Baby Blue and beginning at top of sky area, float towards horizon, leaving lightest area of sky along horizon and above distant shrubs.
- Lightly dampen area along horizon with water. Load toe of medium texture with Snow White and heel with Country Blue and blend on palette. (Note: For proper use of texture brush, dampen bristles with water to separate; tap bristles into paint on palette, holding brush perpendicular to palette. Pounce brush up and down to tap off paint, keeping paint sparse on brush. Tap lightly on surface, dance with brush up and down, rolling brush in different directions between fingers when up in air. Allow some drying time in between dances so paint sets up and clean look is achieved.) Dance shrubs along horizon line. Let dry; lightly blend Snow White at top of shrubs for snow.
- Transfer snow hills, road, snowman, and buildings onto surface. Use graphic ruler to aid in transfer of straight lines by dragging stylus along ruler’s edge. Corner load angle with Soft Lilac and float wide shade along back side of each snow hill, around snowman, and onto both sides of road. Chisel float Soft Lilac randomly over snow areas. (Note: To chisel float, corner load angle, blend off on your palette, lay bristles of brush flat on surface with chisel edge up. Push paint on bristles from left to right in scratching motion, allowing bristles to pull broken line that is slightly floated.) Corner load angle with Snow White and float highlight along front side of each snow hill.
- Transfer center line for each pine using graphic ruler and pencil. Work only on a couple of pines at one time. Slightly dampen surface area with water. Load #4 filbert with Evergreen across chisel edge. Pull down top of pine up on chisel edge; tap horizontally from left to right for boughs, widening as you work towards base of pine. Allow some background to show through. Repeat process for remaining pines. When dry, repeat step over boughs to deepen. Repeat steps for snow over boughs using Snow White.
- Dance shrubs in between buildings and large right foreground shrubs with Evergreen using small or medium texture brush. Lightly dance snow on shrubs Snow White. Double load #2 shader with Honey Brown and Milk Chocolate and basecoat trunks on bare trees. Pull branches. When dry, dab Snow White on branches.
- (Note: For painting buildings, use appropriate-size shader to basecoat. Pull wall lines using appropriate-size liner. Wash over right side walls for shade and separation using appropriate-size shader. Corner load angle to float shade on left walls. Roofs, windows, and doors are completed in later step. Refer to pattern for building numbers.) For building #1: basecoat walls Buttermilk, pull wall lines Honey Brown, wash over right wall Honey Brown, float/shade across top of left wall Honey Brown; for building #2: basecoat walls Cocoa, basecoat silo wall (1:1) mixture Slate Grey + Snow White, pull wall lines Milk Chocolate, pull silo wall lines mixture Slate Grey + touch of Graphite, wash over right wall Milk Chocolate, float/shade across top of left wall Milk Chocolate, float/shade down right side of silo wall Graphite, float highlight down left side of silo wall Snow White; for building #3: basecoat walls Bleached Sand, pull wall lines Slate Grey, wash over right wall Slate Grey, float/shade across top of left wall Slate Grey; for building #4: basecoat walls Wasabi Green, pull wall lines Payne’s Grey, float shading down left side of right and center walls and across top of left wall Payne’s Grey; for building #5: basecoat walls Terra Coral, pull wall lines Red Iron Oxide, wash over right wall Red Iron Oxide, float shade across top of left wall Red Iron Oxide, paint silos same as in building #2; for building #6: basecoat walls Sea Glass, pull wall lines Payne’s Grey, wash over inside wall and right wall Payne’s Grey, float shade across top of left wall Payne’s Grey.
- Basecoat all roofs Snow White. When dry, corner load angle with Payne’s Grey; lightly float shade across top of each roof. Double load 10/0 liner with Payne’s Grey + Snow White; pull side roof lines. Re-pull side roof lines with Snow White. Basecoat doors and dark windows Payne’s Grey, yellow windows (1:1) mixture of Buttermilk + Honey Brown, and off-white doors Bleached Sand. Outline covered bridge opening and pull door handles Bleached Sand using 10/0 liner. Pull remaining door handles Payne’s Grey.
- Basecoat snowman Snow White using #4 filbert. Corner load angle with Soft Lilac and lightly float shading under each section of snowman. Double load 10/0 liner with Cocoa + Milk Chocolate and pull twig arm. Double load 10/0 liner with Cocoa + Red Iron Oxide and pull nose.
- Dance in ground foliage Evergreen using small texture brush. Randomly dance Snow White on foliage for snow.
- Dampen snow area under yellow windows with water. Wash over area with thinned Cocoa + Honey Brown.
- Apply satin varnish onto areas for faux finish using oval wash combo. Follow manufacturer’s instructions on faux finish glaze medium to mix glaze with Medium Purple Mixture (1:1 Deep Midnight Blue + Violet Haze + water). Brush glaze mixture onto surface area using glaze/wash. Dance over area with silk sponge, allowing background color to show through. Repeat process over all areas of holder.
- Apply varnish over entire holder and insert using oval wash combo. Let dry.