Henry the Harvest Bear
- Beige corduroy, 45”-wide, 1/2 yd.
- Pair of old jeans or denim, 45”-wide, 1/2 yd.
- Plaid flannel, 45”-wide, 1/3 yd.
- Rainbow Classic Felt (The Kunin Group): two squares: Walnut Brown; Orange Spice; Cashmere Tan
- Poly-fil Brand (Fairfield)
- Pearl Cotton (DMC): Black; Antique Gold
- Buttons: tortoise shell, 3/8”, four; white, 1/4”, three
- Snap sets, 1/4”, seven
- Doll joints, 2-1/8”, four
- Brown animal eyes, 12mm, two
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Sewing needles
- Straight pins
- Iron and pressing board
- Disappearing ink marker
- Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive (Beacon Adhesives)
- 1. All seams are 1/4” and are stitched with right sides facing, unless otherwise indicated. Print pattern.
- 1. Cut bear pieces from corduroy and Walnut Brown felt as indicated on pattern. Use fabric marker to transfer all markings.
- 2. Pin Side Head sections together and stitch along center front (neck/chin) seam. Trim and clip seam allowance.
- 3. Pin and stitch Center Head piece to Side Head pieces. Trim and clip seam allowance. Turn right side out.
- 4. Pin and stitch one Body Front to one Body Back at side seam. Repeat for remaining body sections. Pin and stitch body sections together along center front and back seams, leaving an opening at center back as noted on pattern. Trim and clip seam allowance.
- 5. Pin and stitch head to body, matching center fronts and backs. Turn right side out.
- 6. Pin and stitch two Arm pieces together. Trim and clip seam allowance. Turn right side out. Repeat for remaining arm.
- 7. Pin and stitch one Boot to one Upper Leg section. Pin and stitch a second Boot and Leg section. Pin and stitch these sections together, leaving the lower edge of the Boot open plus an opening at the back leg as noted on the pattern. Pin and stitch one Sole to the lower edge of the Boot. Trim and clip seam allowances. Turn right side out. Repeat for remaining boot/leg.
- 8. Following manufacturer’s instructions, attach arms and legs to body with doll joints, as marked.
- 9. Following manufacturer’s instructions, attach eyes to head, as marked.
- 10. Use Poly-fil to stuff bear to desired firmness.
- 11. Stitch openings in arms and legs closed.
- 12. Pin and stitch two ear pieces together, leaving the lower edge opening for turning. Trim and clip seam allowance. Turn right side out. Turn in 1/4” along lower edge and hand stitch closed. Pin to head as desired and stitch in place by hand.
- 13. Use one strand of Black pearl cotton to stitch muzzle and a double strand of Antique Gold to stitch nose, using photo and diagram as guide.
- 14. Cut a 24” length from Antique Gold pearl cotton to stitch “laces” for one of the boots. Starting with markings nearest to the toe, stitch from right side of boot to the left. Center the thread. Take a second stitch (right to left) through the next set of markings, creating a slanted stitch. Repeat twice more and remove the needle from that end of the thread. Thread the needle to the remaining end and stitch from left to right through the same markings, creating a series of “X’s”. Tie ends in a bow. Secure the center knot with Fabri-Tac. Trim ends to desired length. Repeat for remaining boot laces.
- 1. Cut pumpkin sections from Orange Spice felt and stem from Walnut Brown felt as indicated on pattern.
- 2. Tightly roll Walnut Brown felt and secure end with glue.
- 3. Pin and stitch pumpkin sections together along long edges only, leaving an opening in final seam for turning.
- 4. Gather base edge by hand and secure with several back stitches.
- 5. Gather top edge around stem and secure with several back stitches.
- 6. Turn pumpkin right side out. Use Polyfil to stuff to desired firmness, pinching stem and base as you stuff to keep pumpkin more round than tall.
- 7. Hand sew opening closed.
- 1. Cut sixteen 1/2”x18” strips from Cashmere Tan felt. Lay six strips side by side on a flat surface. Weave four strips over and under the first six to create the basket base.
- 2. Weave the next strip (weaver strip) in the same over and under manner, holding the base strip ends up to create the sides of the basket. Overlap the ends of the weaver strip, trimming away any excess. Secure ends with glue. Repeat this step for another four strips.
- 3. Trim the base strip ends (on the outside of the basket) to approximately 3/4”. Fold to the inside of the basket and secure with glue. Trim the remaining base strips (on the inside of the basket) to the height of the basket. Secure to the top weaver strip with glue.
- 4. Secure the final strip along the top outside edge of the basket with glue, trimming the ends to neaten.
- 5. Use two strands of Antique Gold pearl cotton to make a French knot where the top weaver overlaps, creating a “nail brad”.
- 1. Cut overall pieces from the jeans (or denim) and plaid flannel (bib lining) as indicated on patterns. Use fabric marker to transfer all markings.
- 2. Pin and stitch Bib Fronts together along sides and top, leaving lower edge free to turn. Trim and clip seam allowance. Turn right side out. Baste lower edge closed. Top-stitch along sides and top edge.
- 3. Pin and stitch two Overall Leg sections together along center front seam. Trim and clip seam allowance. Center, pin and stitch Bib Front to Overall Front. Press seam toward legs and top-stitch along seam line to create a waist line.
- 4. Fold strap into thirds along fold lines, having right side facing out. Top-stitch along both fold edges, securing raw edge toward the back. Repeat for the remaining strap. Pin and stitch straps to one Bib Back, as marked. Pin and stitch Bib Backs together along sides and top, leaving lower edge free to turn. Trim and clip seam allowance. Turn right side out. Baste lower edge closed. Top-stitch along sides and top edge.
- 5. Pin and stitch remaining Overall Leg sections together along center back seam. Trim and clip seam allowance. Center, pin and stitch Bib Back to Overall Back. Press seam toward legs and top-stitch along seam line to create a waist line.
- 6. Pin and stitch overall sections together along side seams, leaving free above marking. Pin and stitch inside leg seam. Fold hem to inside and top-stitch along fold and again a generous 1/8” away from first row of stitching.
- 7. Fit overalls on bear, overlapping side seam from front to back. Mark desired fit and button placement. Remove overalls and stitch the 3/8” buttons to Bib Front and at the waist, as marked.
- 8. Stitch snaps in place under buttons, the corresponding straps and back side seams.
- 1. Cut shirt pieces from plaid flannel as directed on patterns. Use fabric marker to transfer all markings.
- 2. Stitch Fronts to Back at shoulder seams. Stay stitch along neckline.
- 3. With right sides facing, fold Collar along fold line. Pin and stitch along each end, leaving long edge open. Trim and clip seam allowance. Turn right side out.
- 4. Pin and stitch collar to right side of neckline.
- 5. Pin and stitch Front Facing to Back Facing at the neckline. Pin and stitch facing to shirt. Trim and clip seam allowance. Turn right side out.
- 6. Gather lower edge of one sleeve to fit one cuff. Pin and stitch cuff to sleeve. Pin and stitch upper edge of sleeve to armhole. Pin and stitch side seam, stitching from lower edge of shirt to cuff. Trim and clip seam allowance. Fold raw edge of the cuff to the inside, encasing the raw edge of the lower sleeve, and hand stitch in place. Repeat for remaining sleeve. Turn right side out.
- 7. Stitch a narrow hem along the bottom edge of shirt.
- 8. Stitch white buttons to the left side, as marked.
- 9. Stitch snaps in place under the buttons.