Fleur-de-Lis Towels & Hooks
- Wooden oval plaques.
- Unfinished wooden golf tees or dowels, 3” long.
- Americana® Acrylic Paints (DecoArt™): Antique White; Snow White; Lamp Black; Glorious Gold.
- White dishtowels, two.
- Black Wool Felt (National Nonwovens).
- Muslin, 5” square.
- Metallic Threads (Kreinik®): Black Cord; Gold Cord; Silver Cord; Pearl Cord.
- Black gingham ribbon, 7/8”, 1/2 yd.
- CRYSTALLIZED™ Swarovski® Elements Flat Back Crystals, 8mm, two.
- Rubber stamps (Hero Arts): Manuscript Background; Studio G Bird Branch Alphabet; Fleur-de-lis.
- Simply® Foam Stamps (Plaid®).
- Black pigment ink pad.
- All-Purpose Sealer (DecoArt™).
- Adhesives: Aleene’s® Original Tacky® Glue (iLoveToCreate); Fabri-Tac™ Permanent Adhesive (Beacon Adhesives).
- Embroidery needle.
- Iron and pressing board.
- Sewing needle and white thread.
- Sanding block.
- Hammer and small brads.
- Drill and 1/4” bit.
- Hanger of choice.
- 1. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse black wool felt to webbing with iron. Fuse scrap of muslin to webbing. Print out patterns. Cut patterns from fused felt. Cut one Fleur-de-lis and three circles for each towel.
- 2. Stamp manuscript background on fused muslin. Stamp French sentiments such as “bonjour” and “fleur.” Stamp directly over stamped manuscript image, leaving space between words. Heat set ink with warm iron.
- 3. Measure width of folded towel and cut ribbon to two pieces. Use fabric glue for temporary hold. Fuse oval sentiment to center of ribbon on towel, and fleur-de-lis and circles to towel as shown.
- 4. Use two strands of gold or silver cord to backstitch edges of circles and fleur-de-lis, approximately 1/8” from edge, using one color per towel. Use black cord to backstitch sentiment oval edges and top and bottom edge of ribbon on towel. For hangers, cut two 1/2”x4” strips from remaining wool felt. Fold strips in half and use white thread to sew to back of towel, if desired.
- 1. Sand plaques and wipe dust. Apply sealer. Paint plaque Snow White and golf tees Lamp Black.
- 2. Use ink to stamp manuscript background randomly on plaque, bleeding off edges for a seamless look.
- 3. Apply Antique White paint to brayer by placing on surface and rolling brayer through two to three times to cover. Brayer paint onto foam fleur-de-lis stamp and stamp center of plaque. When dry, dry brush lightly with Lamp Black and Glorious Gold. Use ink to stamp fleur-de-lis randomly on plaque for a layered look.
- 4. Glue crystal to flat side of golf tee. Drill hole at bottom center of plaque. Apply glue in hole and insert golf tee for hanger. Attach hanger of choice to back of plaque.