Pansy Mosaic Jar Luminary
- Glass Quart Ball Jar, 7” tall
- Jennifer’s Mosaics (Diamond Tech): Cathedral Glass Chips: Purple; Green; Vintage Pansies Tile; White Sanded Grout, 2 lb.
- Small silk daisies
- Plum ribbon, 1 yd.
- Yellow votive candle
- Jennifer’s Mosaics Wheeled Glass Nippers (Diamond Tech)
- Mosaic adhesive or silicone
- Masking or painter’s tape
- Miscellaneous supplies: latex gloves; safety glasses; mixing spoon; scrubby or soft cloth; disposable or plastic bowl; long tweezers or pliers
- Print out pattern. Enlarge pattern to fit jar. Place pattern flat on work surface.
- The jar used for this project has the “Ball” embossed on the front. Nip several of the purple cathedral chips into thirds and create a window around the jar lettering to let them be part of the overall design. If there is no embossed lettering, leave a 3”x3” or desired size window on the front of the jar.
- Use wheeled nipper to nip Vintage Mosaic™ Pansies into small pieces. Another option is to place tile in an old towel and strike them with a hammer to break.
- Use photo and pattern as guide to lay out cut stained glass chips and Vintage Mosaic™ tiles on pattern. Leave 1/8” space between chips and tiles for grout.
- When desired arrangement is achieved, apply pieces to jar. Use a clear drying mosaic glue or silicone. Apply glue approximately 1/8” thick on back of each piece and adhere to jar. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to let dry.
- Glue whole green and purple chips to inside back of jar opposite window. Create a checkerboard pattern by alternating chips. Place these chips up against each other as they will not be grouted. When finished, the pattern can be seen through the jar front opening. Use generous dollop of mosaic glue to hold glass chips to concaved surface of inside of jar. (Note: For easier placement, use tweezers or pliers if the opening is too narrow for your hand.)
- Place jar vertically on a flat surface to let glue chips dry for 24 hours.
- Mask off window so it remains grout free.
- For exterior grouting, follow manufacturer’s instructions to mix one cup of white grout. Wearing a glove, spread grout onto surface or jar, making sure grout is pressed into all spaced between glass pieces. Wait approximately 15 minutes for grout to set.
- Gently wipe away excess grout using a scrubby, taking care not to pull away grout from between pieces. (Note: It is very important to remove any grout on tile surfaces before grout is completely dry.)
- Use soft cloth to buff glass to a clean shine. Let dry for 24 hours.
- Fill jar with sand until it reaches bottom edge of window opening. Place votive in sand. Cut several daisy blossoms from stems and arrange them around the candle.
- Tie bow around jar, leaving long ribbon ends. Glue several flowers to bow as shown.