Bannister Rib Hat
- Simply Soft yarn (100% acrylic; 6 oz/170g, 315 yds./288m skein): Country Blue, 6 oz.
- One pair US size 10 (6mm) needles, or size needed to obtain gauge
- Double-pointed needles, size 10 (6mm)
- Stitch holders, two
- Cable needle
- Yarn needle
- Optional: Row counter; Embellish-Knit Automatic Spool Knitter (Bond America)
- 1. In Stitch pattern holding two strands of yarn together, 12 sts and 16 rows = 4”/10 cm
- 1. I-Cord
- 2. Using double pointed needles: Pick up sts as indicated in instructions for ties; do not turn.
- 3. * Slide sts to the opposite end of the needle and knit them, pulling yarn firmly behind sts; repeat from * to desired length. After a few rows, you will see that you are knitting a tiny tube; give it a gentle tug now and then to adjust any loose sts. Bind off all sts, leaving a 10” tail for finishing.
- 1. Garter stitch (Garter st): Knit all sts every row.
- 2. Bannister Rib Stitch (panel of 16 sts)
- 3. Rounds 1–4: P4, k4; repeat from * around.
- 4. Rounds 5, 9 and 13: P4, C4F, p4, k4; repeat from * around.
- 5. Rounds 6–8, 10–12, 14–16, 18–20 and 22–24: Repeat Round 1.
- 6. Rounds 17, 21 and 25: P4, k4, p4, C4F; repeat from * around.
- 7. Rounds 26–28: Repeat Round 1.
- 8. Work Rounds 1–28 for Bannister Rib st.
- 1. Earflaps are worked first – back and forth in Garter st (rows) – using 2 double-pointed needles (dpn).
- 2. Hat is worked in-the-round on a circular needle, changing to dpn when too few sts remain to continue with circular needle.
- 3. Ties for Earflaps are worked in I-cord (see Special Technique).
- 4. Hold two strands of yarn together throughout project.
Earflaps (make 2)
- 1. Using double pointed needles, cast on 4 sts.
- 2. (WS) Begin Garter st; knit 1 row.
- 1. Beginning this row, inc 1 st each side every other row 4 times as follows:
- 2. (RS) K1-f/b in first st, knit across to last 2 sts, k1-f/b in next st, k1.
- 3. (WS) Knit 1 row even—12 sts.
- 4. Work even in Garter st for 4 more rows, end with a WS row—7 Garter ridges.
- 5. Place sts on holder.
- 1. Using circular needle, knit across sts of one Earflap; cast on 24 sts for Front; knit across sts on remaining Earflap; cast on 16 sts for Back—64 sts. Join, being careful not to twist sts; place a marker (pm) for beginning of round.
- 1. Begin Bannister Rib st; work Rounds 1–28 once—piece measures approximately 6” from beginning.
- 1. Change to dpn on Round 1, distributing sts evenly.
- 2. Round 1: * [P2tog] twice, [k2tog] twice; repeat from * around—32 sts remain.
- 3. Round 2: Knit the knit sts and purl the purl sts as they face you.
- 4. Round 3: * P2tog, k2tog; repeat from * around—16 sts remain.
- 5. Round 4: Repeat Round 2.
- 6. Cut yarn, leaving a 12” tail.
- 7. Using yarn needle, thread tail through remaining sts; pull snuggly to close top of crown and fasten off securely on WS.
- 1. Ties (make one on each earflap)
- 2. Using dpn, pick up and knit 3 sts on cast-on edge of Earflap; work in I-cord until Tie measures 4” from pick-up row.
- 3. K3tog—1 st remains.
- 4. Cut yarn, leaving a 10” tail; fasten off.
- 5. Using yarn needle, weave in ends.
Bannister Rib Hat