Frederick the Flea Market Bear
- Wool jacket with leather elbow patches (Note: Use lightweight leather gloves instead if there are no elbow patches)
- Silk tie
- La Mode buttons (#29642) (Blumenthal Lansing Co.), two
- Doll joints, 1-1/4”, four
- Poly-fil Brand stuffing (Fairfield)
- Embroidery floss in color of choice
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Sewing needle
- Iron and pressing board
- Straight pins
- Seam ripper
- Disappearing-ink marker
- Print out pattern. Cut bear pieces from jacket as instructed, using fabric marker to transfer all markings.
- Pin and stitch two ear pieces together, leaving lower edge open to turn. Trim and clip seam allowance. Turn right side out. Baste lower edge closed. Pin to one of the side front head pieces as marked, clipping edge to turn the corner. Stitch in place. Repeat for the remaining ear and opposite side front head.
- Pin and stitch one side front head to one side back head. Repeat for remaining side.
- Pin and stitch the side front head sections together at the center front seam.
- Pin and stitch the center head piece to the side head pieces, matching center fronts and back neck edges. Trim and clip seam allowance. Turn right side out. Stay stitch along the neck edge.
- Pin and stitch one body front to one body back at the side seam. Repeat for remaining body sections. Pin and stitch body sections together along the center back and front seams. Trim and clip seam allowance. Turn right side out. Stay stitch along the neck edge.
- Stitch one paw piece to each inner arm. Finger press the seam allowance toward the paw. Pin and stitch an inner arm to an outer arm, leaving an opening as marked. Trim and clip seam allowance. Turn right side out. Repeat for remaining arm.
- Pin and stitch two leg sections together, leaving the lower edge open and an opening as marked. Stay stitch along the lower edge. Pin and stitch a sole to the lower edge. Trim and clip seam allowances. Turn right side out. Repeat for remaining leg.
- Follow manufacturer's instructions to attach arms and legs to body with the doll joints, as marked.
- Stuff bear to desired firmness.
- Stitch openings in arms and legs closed. Pin head as desired and stitch in place.
- Stitch buttons in place as marked.
- Use three strands of floss to satin stitch nose and mouth.
- Fold bow tie piece in half lengthwise. Pin and stitch along sides, leaving an opening as marked. Trim and clip seam allowance. Turn right side out. Stitch opening closed. Fold tie in half and then in half again (creates four layers: two loops on one side and one loop with two ends on the other). Gather at the center.
- Fold bow tie band in half lengthwise. Pin and stitch along long side. Turn right side out. Center bow tie on band and stitch in place.
- Fold bow tie knot in half and stitch along longer side. Turn right side out, centering seam at back side. Wrap knot around bow tie. Turn under raw edges of knot and stitch to secure in place.
- Place band around neck of bear and trim to fit, leaving a seam allowance. Turn under raw edges of band and stitch to secure.
- 1. All seams are 1/4" and are stitched with right sides facing, unless otherwise indicated. To prepare fabrics, clean jacket and tie to remove any stains. Use seam ripper to carefully remove elbow patches and to open seams. If needed, press lightly.