Fused Glass Flower Pendant
- Fuseworks Opalescent Sheet Glass*, 2”x3”: Blue; Yellow; Orange
- Fuseworks Assorted Millefiori*, 3mm to 5mm, four
- Fuseworks*: Microwave Kiln; Kiln Paper; Bail
- Studio Pro*: Glass Cutter; Grozier/Breaker Tool
- Jennifer’s Mosaics Wheeled Glass Nippers*
- Sharpie Marker (Sanford)
- Microwave (800-1200 Watts)
- Hot Mitts*
- E6000 Industrial-Strength Adhesive (Eclectic Products)
- *Products by Diamond Tech
- 1. Read and follow kiln safety instructions and warnings before beginning project.
Cut the Glass
- 1. Starting with blue glass, make 5/16”-wide marks with Sharpie on glass to indicate six strips needed. Use ruller and hand cutter to score along marks (Fig. 1).
- 2. Holding glass in one hand, place flat side of grozier/breaker jaws face up and parallel to score line (Fig. 2). Pull up on the grozier tool and the sheet glass in the opposite hand to break away strip of glass (Fig. 3).
- 3. Repeat step 2 to break away six 2” strips of glass.
Blue Flower Assembly
- 1. Nip the six strips into 5/8” to 3/8” lengths with wheeled nippers to form petals.
- 2. Shape end of each strip with wheeled nipped to round edges (Fig. 4). Be sure to remove all markings from glass before fusing.
- 3. Cut kiln paper to fit base. Place a single millefiori in center of paper and arrange six randomly-sized strips of cut blue glass around it (Fig. 5). Make sure all six petals touch millefiori or nip them thinner to fit.
Blue Flower Fusing
- 1. Carefully set kiln base inside microwave and cover with kiln top (Fig. 6).
- 2. If using a 1200 watt microwave, heat for 2 minutes at 80% power. When time is complete, open microwave and lift kiln lid just enough to visually check the glass. These visual checks will help you determine amount of time and power needed to finish fusing glass
- 3. Add another 45 seconds at 90%. Check visual appearance of glass between time intervals.
- 4. If needed, add time in 15-second intervals to achieve the exact results desired. Glass edges should be nicely rounded (Fig. 7). (Note: If using a microwave with a lower wattage, increase power percentage, but keep times consistent.)
- 5. Remove kiln from microwave using hot mitts and place on a heat-resistant surface. Cool kiln for at least 30 minutes with the lid on. (Caution: Removing lid or peeking under lid during the cooling stage will result in your piece cracking. Glass remains hot for a long time, so handle with caution.)
- 6. For second blue flower, repeat Blue Flower Assembly steps and Fusing steps above. Remove any paper residue and set both aside for final assembly.
Yellow and Orange Flowers Assembly
- 1. For yellow flower, cut three 2”-long, 3/8”-wide strips of glass. Use marker to mark 3/8” intervals on glass.
- 2. Following steps in Figs. 1-3, score and break glass.
- 3. Use wheeled nipper to cut strips into nine pieces in sizes of 3/8” to 1/2” long.
- 4. Shape end of each strip with nippers to round end.
- 5. For orange flower, cut three 2”-long, 1/4”-wide strips from glass. Use marker to mark 1/4”-wide intervals on glass.
- 6. Following steps in Figs. 1-3, score and break glass.
- 7. Using wheeled nipper, cut strips into nine pieces varying in sizes of 3/8” to 1/2” long.
- 8. Shape end of each strip with nippers to round end.
- 9. Place piece of kiln paper on kiln base. Put a single millefiori in center of paper and place six petals around the mille.
- 10. Cut small rectangle of kiln paper and trim one end into triangles. Stack them into three piles four pieces high. Place kiln paper stacks between glass petals. Alternate each stack between two of the petals. Place remaining three pieces of glass on each of the stacked paper. This will create a dimensional look when fused (Fig. 8). Be sure all pieces of glass touch the sides of the millefiori.
Yellow and Orange Flowers Fusing
- 1. Follow original fusing steps above and fuse yellow flower. Once cooled, remove any paper residue from back of flower.
- 2. Repeat steps 9-10 to assemble orange flower and fuse in same way as above.
- 1. Place blue flowers on top of each other and position top flower so all twelve petals appear. Glue in place and let dry.
- 2. Find widest of blue petals on underlying flower and mark that one for attaching the bail. Make sure this petal is pointing up, centered in vertical position before attaching remaining flowers.
- 3. Place yellow and orange flowers on either side of blue flower and glue in place. Let dry.
- 4. Glue bail to back of designated blue petal and let dry (Fig. 9).
- 5. Attach pendant to favorite chain or chocker.
Fused Glass Flower Pendant