Spring Blossoms and Bunnies Wall Hanging
- Chenille: lavender, 22” squares, two; white, 5” squares, four
- Cotton prints: pale green, 13-1/2” square; lavender floral print scraps (for small flowers and inner ear); lavender gingham scrap (cheek)
- Wool felt: white (for bunny, bunny tail, and flower centers); green scraps (for leaves)
- Cotton embroidery floss (DMC): Blanc (white), Lavender (#208), Green (#3052)
- Lavender buttons, six, 1/4”
- Lavender polka dotted ribbon, 1/8”-wide, 10” length
- Lavender rosebud, 3/4”
- Quilt batting, 21” square
- HeatnBond Lite lightweight paper-backed fusible web (Therm O Web)
- Plastic loops, 1”, two
- Disappearing marking pen
- Quilter’s basting spray
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Needles: sewing, embroidery
- Iron and ironing board
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse iron-on adhesive, paper side up, onto wrong side of green cotton square and lavender scrap pieces.
- Trim green piece to 12” square. Center and fuse onto one lavender chenille square.
- Print out pattern. Cut bunny, bunny tail, and five flower centers from white felt; cut fifteen leaves from green felt. Cut five flowers and inner ear piece from lavender scraps and cheek from lavender gingham scrap.
- Baste bunny and tail onto green fused lavender square. Fuse cheek and inner ear to bunny. Baste three leaves on bunny and fuse one flower over leaves. Baste flower center on flower.
- Use white floss to blanket stitch around green square and flower. Use lavender floss to blanket stitch around bunny and tail. And, use green floss to blanket stitch around inner ear and cheek. Use green floss to straight stitch around flower center and white floss around leaves. Add two white running stitches in center of each leaf.
- Sew button eye and flower center button in place. Tie ribbon into bow and stitch to bunny’s neck; stitch rosebud onto center of bow.
- Baste four white chenille squares onto each corner. In same manner as bunny, baste three leaves onto each square, then fuse flower and baste flower center. Embroider motifs and add flower center buttons in same manner as above.
- Baste batting between top and bottom layers with wrong sides of quilt top and backing facing; smooth out any wrinkles on chenille fabric and batting. Pin three layers together. Sew around edges of wall hanging and around each white chenille square using 1/4” or 3/8” seams. Trim edges even if needed.
- If desired, use four-strands of lavender floss to add running stitch or decorative stitching around four white chenille corners.
- Stitch plastic loops to back top corner of wall hanging.
- 1. Use two strands embroidery floss for all stitches unless otherwise noted.
- 2. Dotted lines on patterns indicate overlap of fabric pieces; use lines as guide when basting fabric motifs.
- 3. To save time, machine stitch felt and fabric appliqués using a zigzag or decorative stitch instead of hand embroidery.