Felted Eggs & Chicks
- Custom Dyed Wool Roving*
- Core Fiber*
- Felting Needles*, two
- Decadent Foam* (to protect work surface)
- *Products by Decadent Fibers
- 1. Roll a palm-sized piece of core fiber into an oval shape. Use felting needle to pierce fiber in an up and down motion. Roll and shape egg on Decadent Foam. Fibers go in same direction they are pierced.
- 2. When core fiber is firm and egg-shaped, jab needle harder on two ends to create oval shape. Pull off small wisps of colored fiber; hold fiber with thumbs and first two fingers using both hands, quickly, but gently, tug in opposite directions so fibers easily pull apart. Lay them over egg shape, gently poking and jabbing wool until it is attached. Cover entire egg with color.
- 3. Embellish felted egg with stripes, dots, initials, flowers, swirls, specs, zigzags or overlapping colors of wool. To embellish, pull off a small length of colored wool and use felting needle as a “paintbrush”, piercing colored wool into egg with soft jabs. Decorate eggs as desired.
- 1. Roll a ball of core fiber for head and an egg shape for body, Roll fiber firmly, then needle felt until they hold their shape, jabbing, shaping and turning on Decadent Foam. Fibers go in same direction fiber is pierced.
- 2. When shapes are firm, needle felt head to body. Pull off small wisps of wool fiber; hold fiber with thumbs and first two fingers using both hands, quickly, but gently, tug in opposite directions so fibers easily pull apart. Lay them over chick shapes, gently poking and jabbing wool until it is attached. Cover entire chick with yellow or white fiber. Shape, smooth and blend fiber around neck and body.
- 3. For eyes, use a small amount of dark wool and swirl it around needle before poking it in place. Be sure to just poke in one place. (Note: A little fiber goes a long way.) For beak, place small amount of fiber on foam and needle felt. Poke and turn beak, picking it up from foam, turning it over and needle felting both sides. Leave loose fibers at one end to attach beak to head. Needle felt chick’s tail and wings separately on foam, then attach to body. Needle felt some tufts of fiber, leaving loose ends to resemble wisps and feathers.
Felted Egss & Chicks
Basket of Eggs